Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheetmetal fold (creating fold on half sheet)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
736 Views, 11 Replies

Sheetmetal fold (creating fold on half sheet)

Hello!

Im wondering if theres any possibility to create a fold on a flat sheetmetal half the way. 

(in other words not ending one side at an edge)

many bends in our shop are made this way but i cant find an easy solution to make it in inventor without extra work with extrude etc.

Thankful for any help with this "problem"

Showing an example of what im looking solutin for

Rgds/ Peter

sheetmetal fold.JPG

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach your example *.ipt file here and someone will show you the correct way.

What version of Inventor (including SP) are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Im using 

Inventor 2013

SP2

Dont think an ipt-file is needed. the picture shows my problem that folds needs an edge to go from and i want to know how to go round that and stop a bend in the middle of a part.

Message 4 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Im using 

Inventor 2013

SP2

Dont think an ipt-file is needed. the picture shows my problem that folds needs an edge to go from and i want to know how to go round that and stop a bend in the middle of a part.

an ipt file isn't needed...

Start the flange command and hit the << button to expand the lower options.. use width or offset or whatever you need..

and its not a fold.. its a flange..

fold is a different tool. 

Might want to have your company invest in some proper training to avoid costly mistakes/wasting time on the basics.. The cost of a 2 day training session is WELL worth it in the long run

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

I think there is a little more to it than standard Inventor Flange.

I certainly would not request a file if I did not think that I needed an example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I certainly would not request a file if I did not think that I needed an example.

yes you would.. Smiley Tongue

I see it happen daily on here.. 

Its the teacher in you always on the hunt for underconstrained sketches.. 

OP's request...as I read it and the image shown... is simply how to make a flange that isn't full length of an edge/face.. width/offset is the solution... 

and wait till he sees that bend relief automatically created too.. like magic

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

If you could show me a piece where you could use flange in the middle of a for example 300x300mm piece please do so.

as far as i know there is an edge needed to use flange and..

wait a moment there is no edge in the middle of a sheet!

Message 8 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

If you could show me a piece where you could use flange in the middle of a for example 300x300mm piece please do so.

as far as i know there is an edge needed to use flange and..

wait a moment there is no edge in the middle of a sheet!

darn it.. now I feel JD is right in that its more than a simple flange and your original example/description is horrible Smiley Frustrated

But to continue with what I "thought" you were asking/showing an example of.. here see the video..

If this is not at all what you were talking about.. pick up your phone and go take a picture of a real part in the shop and post it here if you don't know how to model it or show similar geometry in Inventor..

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Hello!

Sending you a picture because it looks like i cant explain my problem.

I cant use flange because its to far in on the metalsheet and yes ive tried the options with changing positions of the flange.

Hope that someone can give me an answer on this.

Rgds

/Peter

20151119_160900_resized.jpg

Message 10 of 12
mcgyvr

Can you show another picture from another angle or something?

To me.. from that angle... It just looks like a regular flange (no bend relief)

I see something like this...

Is that not correct?

flangewidth.PNG

and another angle.. and using "tear" for the bend relief

flangewidth2.PNG

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for the answers all, its something like that on your pictures but it goes 1mm further inwards and i was looking for the bendrelief animation not a clean cut like your picture, the material are forced upwards at the end of the flange.
Message 12 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the answers all, its something like that on your pictures but it goes 1mm further inwards and i was looking for the bendrelief animation not a clean cut like your picture, the material are forced upwards at the end of the flange.

So you simply don't use bend reliefs and are ok with material distortion/cracking and want to model your flanges like that..

why?

Frankly I wouldn't model that at all.. Its a remnent of the procedure and does not need to be modeled..

Just like you don't model the outward/inward "squish" of edge material as shown here.

Just use the tear bend relief option and the flat pattern is correct..

squish.PNG

and if its 1mm in then you need to cut 1mm from your sheet in that area prior to creating the flange.

Here is how I would have phrased your initial question.

I want to create a sheet metal flange that doesn't extend the full length of the select edge and we also do not use bend reliefs and I want to model the distortion of the material cause by the lack of bend relief..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report