Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
precision
2235 Views, 50 Replies

sheet metal

How can I bend the part attached with out bending the whole flange that protrudes beyond the bend.

I tried all fashions of bounding the bend line to stay to the projected part edge.

Thank You

50 REPLIES 50
Message 41 of 51
SBix26
in reply to: cadman777

Oops-- works much better this way.  I've changed the dimensions so it's 5" inside and 1 mm bend radius (where is that specified?).  Now I get to a K-factor of .34, which is much more within normal limits.

SBix26_0-1622860302927.png

Revised file attached (2021 format).

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 20H2
LinkedIn

Message 42 of 51
cadman777
in reply to: SBix26

Nice work!

Bend Radius: Go back to 'MESSAGE 10 OF 41 - precision  in reply to: JDMather'

I'm curious how you accomplished it.

I see your model tree, but can't open your file b/c I'm on Inventor 2010.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 43 of 51
SBix26

SBix26_0-1622943428910.png

SBix26_1-1622943613549.png

SBix26_2-1622943826388.png

SBix26_3-1622943928483.png

Hope that makes it reasonably clear...

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 44 of 51
cadman777

Thanx for sharing!

Nice and simple.

I just tried it, and it didn't work.

Reason: The relief radius is .004" above the bend line.

Note: I'm working with the Blank the OP posted recently, which has a different profile around the circular hole.

To get it to work, I had to fudge the relief radius to .129" from .125".

Now it works, but with a Refold error, and it's not exactly the same as the Blank.

It's a few thousandths off all the way around.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 45 of 51
SBix26

Yep, I don't think the drawing is complete and consistent.  There are things that are over-dimensioned, and things that are under-dimensioned.  I, too, couldn't make the part work with 1/8" reliefs, mine are 7/32".  This is more consistent with the visual from the drawing, but not what the OP specified.

I'm wondering whether a similar technique could be used starting with the blank as the OP wanted to do.  What if I split off the "ears" from the part, made the bend, then unfolded it and combined the ears back to it, then re-fold?  I'll try it and let you know...

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 46 of 51
SBix26

I was able to successfully update my model with the 1/8" relief radius (mine was formerly 7/64", not 7/32" as I erroneously wrote).

However, I was not able to start with the blank, separate it into two solids, make the fold, unfold, combine the solids back into one, then re-fold.  Ended up looking like the OP's original problem with the folded ears-- unless I moved the relief radii just slightly down (.006").  Then it works. 

So, the procedure was to use Direct Edit>Move by .006" on the side with the 180° relief, and sketch and cut the other side to match.  Then it looks as it's supposed to, and measures exactly as the drawing shows.  2021 file that illustrates this procedure is attached.  Note that splitting the solid and later recombining is not necessary.  It works exactly as the OP desired, as long as the reliefs begin within the bend zone, not in the flat.

SBix26_0-1623011224618.png

SBix26_0-1623012108400.png

Sam B
LinkedIn

Message 47 of 51
cadman777

Sam,

Thanx for clarifying, I appreciate it.

Not that I'm trying to belabor this topic, but .... 👺

I think there's confusion in this thread b/c the OP changed his mind part-way through.

Although I began with the original 2d drawing, he changed it to the flatpattern STEP file seen in 'MESSAGE 23 OF 46 - precision in reply to: cadman777'.

I wonder if that Blank will work the same as the 2d drawing?

Or maybe my version of Inventor won't work like yours?

Just wondering is all.

My version of Inventor doesn't have DirectEdit. Bummer!

Either way, seems like an awful lot of 'pain and suffering' to go through to make such a simple part!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 48 of 51
johnsonshiue
in reply to: precision

Hi Folks,

I have taken this issue on and off for a few days. I don't have much to add except acknowledging what experts already mention. The tricky area here is the bend relief transition. To get the exact shape by modeling folded body isn't easy. You can get close but not exact. So, it largely depends on the need. If you want the flat pattern, you already have it. If you want to see the folded shape, you may as well start with the flattened body and add folds.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 49 of 51
cadman777
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I agree with you Johnson: "on and off for a few days".

At this point, I'm finished 'massaging' this part. Suffice to say it's impossible to make on my version of Inventor, and I can't see what others have done due to the backward compatibility issues.

If this was my customer, I would tell them I tried to make this 30 different ways, and no matter what I did, it can't be made in my software the way they want it. So I'd present some concessions after discussing the essentials, and then offer a few simple, repeatable, easy to repeat solutions.

This reminds me of a job I had many years ago trying to make some crazy sheetmetal weldments that I finally made with the hybrid use of 3 different software programs. That was after 180 hours of work! The customer wanted it real bad, so I gave it to them, just the way they wanted it!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 50 of 51
johnsonshiue
in reply to: precision

Hi Chris,

The only thing 2010 would not do in this case is the ability to define multiple solid bodies in sheet metal. On 2014 and later, multi-solid body may help a bit. You can get the bend transition by creating a trapezoid-shaped face on the side as a body and a long narrow face at the top. Then use Bend command to connect the two. Using this approach can get the nice bend transition.

However, it is like a hack. I don't think it is worth the effort to get around the problem this way just for the bend transition. Folding the flattened body will get there quicker.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 51 of 51
cadman777
in reply to: johnsonshiue

You're right, I don't have sheetmetal multi-bodies in 2010.

But I probably wouldn't use them anyway.

I rarely used multibody parts over the years as well.

On one job I made some sheetmetal body armor for JK Jeeps using that same method you mention. After making one thickened surface, if the edges are 'tight' between the first surface and the adjoining surface, upon thickening the adjoining surface, a sheetmetal bend automatically forms between the two sheetmetal surfaces. I created most of the bumpers and fenders using that method. But first I had to create a 3d network of flat surface wireframes to thicken. Also I can use the bend command between two separate sheetmetal parts in 2010 if need be. But if I had my Drothers, I'd make sure Fold had better interpolability with the sheetmetal module. I have to say that the developers did a very nice job of adding some nifty undocumented (hidden) functions to the basic commands in Inventor 2010!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report