Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
bgibsonBKMER
376 Views, 9 Replies

sheet metal

I am working with plastic (PFA), the tank is 3/8" thick, and at the top, there are weirs (scallops) all around. The four corners have a relief cut, more or less, an area is machined down to 0.1" thick x 2.292" wide with 45 degrees each side of the cut. My question, can Inventor "sheet metal" take a 3D model with two thicknesses and unbend those corners and add a seam in the middle of one of the walls, so as to create the flat pattern?

3D PFA TANK3D PFA TANKFLAT PATTERNFLAT PATTERN

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bgibsonBKMER

Hi! Each sheet metal body needs to have unique thickness value. Please feel free to share the part here so forum experts can take a look. It should be doable but it is hard to tell without seeing the file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
IgorMir

Yes, it can be done.
Here is a file in IV2020 format.

I got to go now, but should you need more guidance to the part creation - please let me know.

Cheers,

Igor.

@bgibsonBKMER wrote:

I am working with plastic (PFA), the tank is 3/8" thick, and at the top, there are weirs (scallops) all around. The four corners have a relief cut, more or less, an area is machined down to 0.1" thick x 2.292" wide with 45 degrees each side of the cut. My question, can Inventor "sheet metal" take a 3D model with two thicknesses and unbend those corners and add a seam in the middle of one of the walls, so as to create the flat pattern?

3D PFA TANK3D PFA TANKFLAT PATTERNFLAT PATTERN

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 10
IgorMir

Hi Brian;

Here is more or less a final model. IV2020 format. The dimansions are selected at random, but it shouldn't be matter.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 10
bgibsonBKMER
in reply to: IgorMir

Thanks for the reply and effort... However, I am on Inventor 2013. I am not able to open your files...

Message 6 of 10
bgibsonBKMER

The Jpg file looks great, can you please save the ipt file as 2013.... 

Thanks,

Brian

Message 7 of 10
bgibsonBKMER

I down loaded Inventor 2020, I was able to open and view your sheet metal
part. Did you create the file in standard IPT fashion (3D), thereafter; you
created the flat pattern from the 3D thru sheet metal?
Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr

@bgibsonBKMER wrote:
I down loaded Inventor 2020, I was able to open and view your sheet metal
part. Did you create the file in standard IPT fashion (3D), thereafter; you
created the flat pattern from the 3D thru sheet metal?

You can see how a part was constructed by looking at the model browser to see each feature as it was created.. 

You can drag the End of Part marker up below each and every feature and step through the construction steps..

If you delete the flat pattern before doing that you won't get that error about it.. (or just ignore it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 10
bgibsonBKMER
in reply to: mcgyvr

So, from reviewing the file, it appears as it was created from a flat pattern, not from a 3D model. 

Thanks,

Brian

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr

@bgibsonBKMER wrote:

So, from reviewing the file, it appears as it was created from a flat pattern, not from a 3D model. 

Thanks,

Brian

It was started with a contour flange.

Then was unfolded

Then an extrusion was added to create the multiple thicknesses

Then the first extrusion (cut) was created to create the first half of the scallop..

Then another extrusion (cut) to create the other part of the initial scallops

Then a rectangular pattern to generate multiple scallops..

Then the whole thing was folded back into the original contour flange shape..

Then mirrored to create the full tube vs a U

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report