Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hamzakhawer.hk
299 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet metal model

Kindly tell me that which tools to be used to model this part in sheet metal or it is not to be made in sheet metal.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: hamzakhawer.hk

Sheet Metal tools will not be helpful for this part.  Inventor's sheet metal tools will not be able to create a flat pattern of this part because it is stretched in multiple directions.

I would model this by creating a solid of the outside shape, shelling it, then add the flange around the rim and the cutout of the front face.  

Warning: the actual part undoubtedly is not of uniform thickness; starting with a uniform thickness sheet and then deforming it that much will result in thinner sections in the walls of the part.  If this matters, your modeling task gets more difficult interesting.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R2
Vault Basic 2017
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 3 of 5
hamzakhawer.hk
in reply to: SBix26

Yes I was also thinking sheet metal will not be able to flatten the pattern. I have to use normal solid modeling

Message 4 of 5
hamzakhawer.hk
in reply to: SBix26

Also tell me buddy, is that the key point to kept in mind that the model that can be flattened is modeled in sheet metal or any other thing also?

Message 5 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: hamzakhawer.hk

I'm no expert on the sheet metal in Inventor, but from my reading here on the forum and my experience:

Parts can be flattened that have no sheet metal features at all.  However, to be flattenable, they must be of uniform thickness, and bends must be only cylindrical or conic— bends that typically can be produced in the real world by a press brake or by rolling.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R2
Vault Basic 2017
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report