Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Help Needed Part II

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
CelticDesignServices
744 Views, 9 Replies

Sheet Metal Help Needed Part II

OK, I wanted to start this one new in hopes of the resulting resolution (do I have faith in my fellow users here or what?) will be easier to navigate for others who search for this later.

I have the need to create a custom Sheet Metal Part template or at least a template with the following custom sheet metal properties embedded. I'm currently trying to accomplish thi by using iLogic but it's hit or miss and I'm thinking this is way beyond my current novice abilities on iLogic.

So attached is a screen shot of one of the 4 materials my client uses and their required bend radii.

I'm asking any of you sheet metal and/or iLogic gurus to take a look and guide me thru this if you can.

I don't want you to simply do it for me, I want to learn how by doing. But if it's easier for you to do it and then explain, by all means. I'm still going to redo it myself so I can learn it.

Thanks in advance

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I just create new items within the Styles for the Sheet-metal. I have different thickness and you can set the desired bend radius in the "Bend Tab". You start with the basic Sheet-Metal template and then select the desired item.

Just select the basic and then select New, make your changes/edits and save.

Still requires the operator to select the correct item, but then the bend radius has already been set in the style when you created it. You can make your name have thickness and bend radius.

Not an iLogic fix

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: blair

I didn't see you created a new thread. I replied on your old one. For archival sake : Old Thread

Blair, I don't see anything wrong with the way you handled this for your application. The reason I chose to use iLogic for this in my applicaion is because of two reasons. We use a crap load of different materials here and I have very novice Inventor users to think about. I'm also able to do a lot more with my material/thickness information by using iLogic then I could if I relied on the sheetmetal rules alone (like automatically generating raw material part numbers).

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 10

Thanks all,

I too have some very novice Inventor users to account for here as well. The powers that be here want everything, and I mean EVERYTHING as automated as possible. They have practically no faith the users will do the right thing if given the options. Sad, but true.

I have tried (as seen in the other thread on this subject) to make this a simple change in the Sheet Metal styles menu but ran into numerous issues which then led me to start looking into doing this by way of iLogic.

If I am understanding it right, I have 4 specific materials (among all the others we use) that require custom bend radii for each material and each gage of said material. This would basically result in me generating 80 different material styles for the user to have to scroll thru and select. Seems like too much risk involved.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 5 of 10

Yes, that would sound about right. I wonder if a custom written API that would call for material thickness, bend radii and material type would work.

Maybe still asking too much from the end user. They are still going to have to make the right selection as some point.

"Even a blind chicken bumps into a corn kernal at some time in the barn yard."

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10

Jim, I have a similar directive here. My supervisor likes to say "If anything goes wrong, it's because a human was involved". So basically I'm to keep everything as "hands off" as reasonably possible. It's a hard point to disagree with.

Blair, there's no need for API work here. This can be handled entierly through iLogic.

Jim, I spend my day elbows deep in iLogic and would be happy to help. What your trying to do was in my template file I posted, but I understand if it was a little too "busy" to see what was going on. I'll make a simplified version just showing what your interested in and post back with it.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: mrattray

Try taking a look at this file. I took out everything that wasn't contributing to what you're trying to accomplish. Hopefully you can follow the workflow.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 10

Thanks mrattray!

I'll take a look at it.

I think I'm almost there with mine as well.

I've got the iLogic written for all the materials, gage and bend in a rule and have modified the Parameters for these. The only gap I see at this point is the User Parameter for the bends. I originally created it with a multiple selection, but the iLogic Rule dictates this. Just trying to figure out how to specify this in the User Parameter menu.

GTIParams.JPGGTIRules.JPG

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 9 of 10

You don't need to specify anything. Based on what I see of your rule, anytime material or thickness changes bendR will update itself.

One thing though, when you put a value in "quotes" you're saying it's text. You don't want to do that for something that's specifying a size or count. You'll find that the code will be unexpectedly picky. If you put If GTI_Gage = ".060" and GTI_Gage actually = .06 IV will see it as unequal, however if you put GTI_Gage = .060 and GTI_Gage actually = .06 IV will understand that it's the same thing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 10

Good point!

Thanks

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report