Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal folding problem

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
631 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet metal folding problem

Hi. I'm trying to do a university assignment and part of it is to make the plate profile that was shown to us in the class.

I am 95% sure that my sketch and extrusion is right, but I have problem with folding the profile. Based on the power point presented in the class, the profile is bend as a line where the fillet of R5 starts (I think?), but when I fold using those lines as the start of fold, the distance between the 2 folded edge is 224 and not the 220.4 as the powerpoint suggest. My question is how do I figure out the distance at which I should bend the plate, so that the final distance between the 2 bent edges is 220.4 as the PowerPoint picture from our class suggests?

I have attached the picture shown to us in class, the measurement of distance between 2 edges after folding and inventor file of my attempt.
I don't know why I can't upload the actual Inventor file, it doesn't let me...
I would really appreciate any help.

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
andrewiv
in reply to: 267445

It looks to me that the bend lines are 25 from either side of the plate.  Maybe if you post what you have so far then I could figure out what went wrong.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 8
in reply to: andrewiv

Here is my attempt.

Message 4 of 8
IgorMir

Hi;

Did the lecturer of yours explain to the class the basics of modeling in Inventor? I have opened your file but once I saw the totally unconstrained sketch - I stopped looking any further. In my view - there is no point to make follow up steps when there is no proper foundation lay down in the first place. Please do yourself a favor and ask your lecturer to explain the sketches in Inventor in better details.

Cheers,

Igor.

@267445 wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to do a university assignment and part of it is to make the plate profile that was shown to us in the class.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 8
andrewiv

I agree with @IgorMir that you need to ask about best practices for modeling.  That being said, the reason you're not getting the dimension correct is because you're using the wrong bend line.  Try using the line 25 from the side and set that to be the center of the bend.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

It is best on a sheet metal part to model in finished form to final dimensions.

Inventor will calculate the bend deduction for stretching.

Flat Pattern.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
in reply to: IgorMir

I am aware of the fact that sketches must be fully constrained, however I can also see when the problem is not due to the sketch not being constrained, sometimes the programs asks for dimensions that are missing when the sketch is fully constrained and no extra dimensions is needed. And I know that this is not the case with the file I uploaded, however that is not why I had issue with the dimension of the folded sheet metal.

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@267445 wrote:

I am aware of the fact that sketches must be fully constrained....

Attach your corrected file with fully defined sketch here. (You no longer need to compress the Attachment.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report