Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Cone - Optimize Plate Layout

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
andrewdroth
1135 Views, 11 Replies

Sheet Metal Cone - Optimize Plate Layout

Fabricating a sheet metal cone that is fabricated from multiple plates. Need to  optimize the plate layout to minimize waste. The plate size is fixed, but the orientation is not. I think this ends up being a a nesting situation, but in reverse?

What is the best way to model a sheet metal cone that is fabricated from multiple plates? Each plate will need to be it's own solid body that can be pushed out to a sheet metal part for DXF extraction.

I have not been able to come up with a workflow that jives with IV. 

See the example attached.

Cone as Contour RollCone as Contour RollUnfolded- Attempt at Plate LayoutUnfolded- Attempt at Plate LayoutRefolded - With splits at plate seamsRefolded - With splits at plate seamsResulting Flat PatternResulting Flat Pattern

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

YouTube IconLinkedIn Icon

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Frederick_Law
in reply to: andrewdroth

I usually split the cone along the length.  Say 10 deg then split that to fit into sheet.

Message 3 of 12
swalton

Are you going to:

1. Weld flat sheets together, then roll the resultant panel to make your cone? 
  2. Or are you going to cut each sheet, form, then weld the bent panels to make the cone?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 12
andrewdroth
in reply to: swalton

I'm looking for solutions to both process actually.

My initial question was weld, then form. And the material is actually thin enough that rolling isn't necessary. You can just pull up on the middle and then clamp and weld the seam together.

But I'd also like to figure out a method of optimizing formed course section sizes for a given cone as well.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 5 of 12
S_May

Message 6 of 12
andrewdroth
in reply to: S_May

Hey Sascha,

That's a good solution for making the separate solids! Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to layout the sheets.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 7 of 12
S_May

@andrewdroth,

how do you mean that, every plate with engraving number, finished  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
andrewdroth

I'm trying to figure out how to orientate the sheets to minimize waste. 

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 9 of 12
S_May
Message 10 of 12
andrewdroth

The solution I'm looking for will be similar to nesting, but sort of in reverse. Instead of fitting odd shapes within a stock plate, I'm using the stock plates to fill the odd shape.

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 11 of 12
andrewdroth

@S_May@swalton@Frederick_Law

This is the other type of cone we make. This one is more common for us, and also presents the issue of optimizing plate usage.

The cone is made in courses, and usually the course sections are identical, but they wouldn't need to be if it meant better material usage. There is a benefit to reducing the amount of weld seems, but depending on the cost of the material it is not always the driving factor.

I'm given the plate sizes, in this case 58"x119", and I need to maximize sheet usage. I can tweak two values to do this, the height of the course, and the number of sections per course.

Right now I'm manually unfolding the curved section, and checking the flat pattern it to a sketch block of the sheet. I then manually iterate those values until I'm using up as much of the sheet as I can. 

Presumably I could facilitate iLogic to help with this, but it seems like a daunting task.

I'm just trying to figure out how other's figure this out effectively and efficiently. 

Laying out the Master PartLaying out the Master PartAssembled ConeAssembled Cone

Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post.

33e48a08-3874-45f3-8805-679b6abe1747

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Message 12 of 12
andrewdroth

"Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post."

Hmmmmm

Andrew Roth
rothmech.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report