Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up precision in assembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
prashant.kute
963 Views, 3 Replies

Setting up precision in assembly

Hi friends,

Is there any way to set up desired level of precision while making an assembly in inventor. I am not able to match holes just because the distance between them is 0.000000000016 mm. and I cannot make it zero because some other constraints.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: prashant.kute

Hi Kute,

Assuming you are talking about the tolerance rather than the display precision. Of cause you can set display precision for the value but it can't change the accuracy value at all. For example, 0.000000000016 mm can be set as display precision as 0.000, and the value will be displayed as 0. However, the value is not changed at all.

OK, let move to tolerance, I think you want the value be rounded to 0 and you can make the constraint as you want, however, it is not acceptable with the underwater constraint solver because 3D software is non-tolerance system, in other words, it can't be round for computing. 

To avoid the constraint confliction, I'd suggest to leverage DirectEdit command to move the entire hole and snap to the center of matched component during in-place editing and hope it helps.

Below is a short video shows the workflow for your reference.

https://autode.sk/2HgNRBq

Hope it helps! 

Xun
Message 3 of 4

Hi! I think you are asking for assembly constraint solving tolerance, right? Inventor does not allow users to change such tolerance. It is because the model you are building should be the ideal digital twin. Loose geometry or constraints can lead to bigger issues down the road. I suspect you are dealing with imported geometry having imprecise geometry. If I were you, I would try to find out where the geometric issue is and correct the imprecision on the model. If you cannot figure it out, pleas share your files here so forum experts can help you further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
kelly.young
in reply to: prashant.kute

Hello @prashant.kute is there a reason you are not able to make the holes match up? What kind of design style are you utilizing?

Modeling Techniques in Inventor

You will have more problems in the future leaving it at 0.000000000016 mm than finding why it doesn't fit in the first place. 

I had this happen many times in different jobs and always led to line drilling in the field leaving unsightly results. If you're talking about precision aerospace work, when caught, this fudging could send you packing depending on how egregious and pervasive it is. I'm all about finding workarounds to achieve a goal, but dimensions being inaccurate is a big bugaboo.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report