Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Individual Pipe Runs to be Phantom

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
petestrycharske
627 Views, 10 Replies

Set Individual Pipe Runs to be Phantom

All,

I admittedly do not work with Tube and Pipe assemblies very often, but had someone ask me this question recently.  Is it possible to set the individual runs in tube and pipe to be "Phantom" on the BOM by default?  I see that the main tube and pipe assembly is already set to "Phantom", and I can set the individual runs to "Phantom" in the BOM editor, but I don't see how to set the individual runs to "Phantom" by default.  Here is a screenshot of what I would like to change.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  Have an awesome and most blessed day!

Tube and Pipe Run as Phantom.png

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I don't think that is possible as far as I know.  The only template that is out there for routed system is the piping runs.iam thatis located in your design data folder.   However that template creates the top tube and pipe assembly.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 11

Mark,

That's pretty much what I figured.  I told the user that we could maybe put an iLogic rule into that template assembly, which would set all subsequent sub-assemblies to be "Phantom".  Was just hoping there was a way to do that without iLogic.  Thanks for the confirmation and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 11

@Mark.Lancaster is this still the case for 2017+? 

Message 5 of 11

@ThomasRambach

Nothing has really changed with routed system and its structure..

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 11

I figured not. Thanks.

Message 7 of 11

@ThomasRambach

Not sure if any of this info http://aucache.autodesk.com/au2016/sessionsFiles/15320/11505/handout_15320_PD15320%20Increasing%20Th... will be helpful to you or not.  But section #1 goes into detail about the routed system model structure..  That info came from the AU Class that @cbenner and I did 2 years ago...

Mark Lancaster

Message 8 of 11

@Mark.Lancaster very helpful PDF, thank you. Question... if you wanted to train a few users on the basics of Tube & Pipe, what would you recommend? Book, Video, etc? 

Message 9 of 11

@ThomasRambach

Here's another great AU class handout http://aucache.autodesk.com/au2016/sessionsFiles/15320/11275/additional_15320_MD-5386%20Going%20With... from @cbenner

Chris also has a blog site with numerous piping info https://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com/category/inventor-tube-pipe/

Not sure if there are any detailed training books out there..   Chris may have some suggestions...   I know when I learned it 11 years ago the training book was kind of lacking and I learned more stuff by trial n error..  I use to have my own internal training manual at my last job but it belongs to the company I use to work for and unable to share it (well I don't have it anymore)..

Mark Lancaster

Message 10 of 11

I found a workaround. You can create an iLogic rule that triggers on-save of an assembly file:

If InStr(1,iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number"),"Run") > 0
ThisDoc.Document.ComponentDefinition.BOMStructure = BOMStructureEnum.kPhantomBOMStructure
End If

This will basically know that the Standard.iam is being saved as a Tube & Pipe run and change the BOM structure to Phantom.

Message 11 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for the tags.

@ThomasRambach,  I'm not aware of any publications out there specifically dedicated to tube & pipe, but I won't go so far as to say there aren't any.  I also learned T&P by just doing it.  Once you know the basics of authoring and publishing fittings, the routed systems structure, and how to sketch a pipe route.... the rest is pretty easy to pick up.  A lot of "how" to do things will also depend on your own circumstances.  What works for one type of design may not work for another.

For example, Cory McConnell is a proponent of top down tube & pipe design, and has one some training on that at AU.  I'm sure you could find his class material on the AU site.  I prefer to work bottom up, because that's the way we build our skids and it just flows better for us.  Not saying either one is the "right" way... it's whatever works best for you.

Anyway, this is one of the best places to learn t&p.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report