Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select faces by window

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
CAD-One
3021 Views, 22 Replies

Select faces by window

I have seen selection filter and apply selction of faces and edges.

I want to leverage this further. In a part, is it possible to simply drag a window and have inventor select all faces?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
SteveMDennis
in reply to: DRoam

@DRoam wrote:

But then, in regards to tackling the verb/noun selection for all commands..... @SteveMDennis, as you know, we want consistency Smiley Wink Wait until it's realistic to prioritize this issue and address it as a whole. Then make a list of every Part-environment command that allows multiple non-contiguous selections, and knock them all out. And then that can actually be a headline for that release: "Window selection enabled for all Part commands!" (rather than trickling it out bit by bit and just making people mad that it works in some places and not in others).

And I wonder if while you're at it, you could modify the selection "architecture" for Part commands such that, in the future, it's easier make blanket changes to all commands like this when good ideas come along? Basically, clean up all that nasty, bloated, dysfunctional "history of Inventor's evolution" that forces you to change every.... command... one.... by one.... and do it right, unlike those before you Smiley Happy  Is that realistic? Or no?

@DRoam

To knocking it out as a whole, I doubt that it would every bubble up to the top partly based on the cost...  This would be a huge project. There are 1000s of commands believe it or not.

As far as the architecture, that is what makes it so expensive, doing it right!  The reason we can do a few commands in each release is because we are not roto-tilling the entire command architecture.  The cost is low and the risk is low but we can't "address them as a whole" this way...

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 22 of 23
DRoam
in reply to: SteveMDennis

All that makes sense, thanks for the info! And I had no idea there were thousands, I would have thought dozens....

Thanks for explaining.

Still, what do you think about the noun/verb selection? Do most (or all) commands support noun/verb selection? I just checked an all of the ones listed or mentioned as top-priority in this thread do! And I checked a few edge commands (chamfer, fillet), feature/body commands (move bodies and the Pattern tools), and even Direct, and noun/verb selection works for all of them! With a few caveats...

• It would be helpful to add control over if automatic edge chain happens when activating chamfer/fillet with edges already selected
  • The Pattern commands need to recognize which type of object (features or bodies) is selected when it's activated, and switch to that type. Currently it works with features but not with bodies.
  • We would need window-select enabled for a few specific commands, like Combine for selecting toolbodies, and also for some of the "Create" commands when selecting participant solids.
  • The Copy Object tool needs to also recognize which type of object (faces or bodies) is selected when it's activated and switch to that type. Currently it starts with whichever type was active before and loses the current selection if it's the wrong type.
  • Noun/verb selection works for corner round/chamfer in Sheet Metal, but it might be helpful to have a selection filter to ONLY select corner edges in Sheet Metal parts.

But even if those weren't addressed, noun/verb selection works perfectly for nearly all (typical) commands as-is. So would it be possible to start by enabling window-select (for each object type: faces OR edges [these would need to be separated like requested here. EDIT: "Surfaces" would also need their own filter] OR features OR bodies) with no command active?

Message 23 of 23
Kurtis1
in reply to: SteveMDennis

I'd like to be able to use it deleted multibodies from my browser menu...at the moment i have to select each one individually while holding down ctrl. When changes visual attributes of faces of parts in would be nice to use a window to select them all rather than select each face individually while holding down ctrl

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report