Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Table questions

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
546 Views, 11 Replies

Revision Table questions

As i am learning to set-up the drawing template, I can't figure out certain settings. Hoping I'll get some answers here. So, :

1) Is there a way to lock/ground Rev table position? If you accidentally grab it, it moves and then you need to return it to original location.

2) How does the Row padding work. In image below, i have text which is 0.1 high, 0.05 exact line spacing and 0.05 heading. Revision table row should be 0.20 (my understanding of this that table row height = text height + 2*row gap). As you can see it is more than that. How is row height calculated and/or accurately controlled ?

Untitled.png

3) Column width can be defined in Rev table style setting. But, again, it can be moved. Is there a way to lock column width?? If not, it should be allowed....

thank you

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

The Revision Table can be anchored in it's default mode of adding to the bottom of the list to the upper border. If you wish to anchor to the bottom border you would need to change the direction of the list within the Edit of the Revision Table Layout.

The Table Header settings can be set within the "Styles and Standard Editor" under "Table 

Capture2.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
jtylerbc

See responses to your questions below.

@Anonymous wrote:

As i am learning to set-up the drawing template, I can't figure out certain settings. Hoping I'll get some answers here. So, :

1) Is there a way to lock/ground Rev table position? If you accidentally grab it, it moves and then you need to return it to original location.

No.  It will snap into corner positions, but there is nothing that keeps it there.

2) How does the Row padding work. In image below, i have text which is 0.1 high, 0.05 exact line spacing and 0.05 heading. Revision table row should be 0.20 (my understanding of this that table row height = text height + 2*row gap). As you can see it is more than that. How is row height calculated and/or accurately controlled ?

Have never seen anyone actually care about the row height enough to investigate this, and had never really paid any attention to it myself before now.   There does seem to be some additional factor determining the final height, but I don't know where it would be coming from.  Possibly something hardcoded in the program?

3) Column width can be defined in Rev table style setting. But, again, it can be moved. Is there a way to lock column width?? If not, it should be allowed....

The column width from the style sets the default width when placing a new table, but does not prevent it from being modified. 

thank you

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

@jtylerbc wrote:

Have never seen anyone actually care about the row height enough to investigate this, and had never really paid any attention to it myself before now.   

Company set their borders a while ago and have revision table lining up with other information within the title block... eyeballing it for now 🙂

Thanks for your inputs.

Message 5 of 12
jtylerbc

Well, this is somewhat dependent on clicking accuracy, but you could try to identify the "mystery offset" from a sketch like the one you posted, and adjust the Row Gap to compensate for it.

That's really just a more advanced form of eyeballing, though.

Message 6 of 12
blair

Possibly the default Font may set the default for each row. Same thing here, never gave it much thought. Not like any publishing software that gives a person the ability to overwrite any of the default settings from each font. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I did try to figure it out, but it gave me 2 very different results when i tried it. And don't want to loose more nerves than what i have lost so far.. ao i eyeballed it. Works fine for now...

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

As many many other users of this forum cried out loud, the logic behind some of the commands and actions really makes no sense. I'll take this exaple to illustrate.

Who was ever intrigued by the row padding? Font size is the constant and that can't and shouldn't change. But how about you give a user an option of assigning row height, and row padding is whatever is left once you deduct font size... I agree that most of the people don't care too much. I was of the same opinion before i joined new company with their border standard. But why limiting yourself from the get-go. Flexibility is the essence, and Inventor is as flexible as cast iron..

Message 9 of 12
jtylerbc

Row height would have made more sense to me as well.  As both an Inventor and AutoCAD user, I suspect this concept may have been a carryover from AutoCAD.  The tables there behave similarly (except without the complication of the "mystery factor").

Message 10 of 12
blair

I'm thinking it has more to do with Windows and default Windows fonts. Then again there have been some programmers at ADSK that like to hide/limit user settings.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
Jon.Dean

Hi Mladen,
This issue has been logged with development, the gaps are all wrong.
I agree the table widths should be fixed by the style but word wrap should be allowed.
Cheers
Jon

Jon Dean

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Jon.Dean

Hi Guys,

Starting from Inventor 2017, there was a change to how row height is computed in Revision Table. It was not consistent with other tables like PartsList or General Table or Hole Table. The old algorithm was unique to Revision Table. The consolidation does introduce some behaviors different than prior releases. Could you share an example here so we can take a look and see if it is working correctly?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report