Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Extents" for Sheet Metal Contour Flange

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DRoam
360 Views, 2 Replies

"Extents" for Sheet Metal Contour Flange

Someone please tell me if I'm missing something.

If I do a Contour Flange with "Join" selected, I can choose which Extents type I want to use, including From/To.

But if I'm doing a "New Solid", I'm forced to use the Distance and specify how long I want my contour flange to be. So I can't utilize the workplanes I have in my model.

What is the reason for this? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to enable the From/To extents option for a new Contour Flange?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: DRoam

Well..

You can utilize the parameter that was used to place/create the plane (its offset distance parameter,etc..)

But it needs some solid geometry to do a to/from..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
DRoam
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Well..

You can utilize the parameter that was used to place/create the plane (its offset distance parameter,etc..)

I knew someone would suggest that Smiley Tongue the planes I want to go between aren't directly parametrically linked. I have several planes all of which are defined in a specific manner and are indirectly linked, but I'm trying to avoid having to write a book of equations for the distance from each plane to every other plane. It shouldn't be necessary, anyway. The Contour Flange should have a From/To option.

mcgyvr wrote: 

But it needs some solid geometry to do a to/from..

What is the reason for this? I must not be understanding what the to/from does for the Contour Flange join operation. I would expect it to just work like it does for Extrude and control the start/end distance of the flange profile, and for this I should be able to select work planes.

Does it do something else?

I've been doing a lot of looking online and experimenting in Inventor and for the life of me I can't figure out what the different Extents options are supposed to do. "Distance" seems to be the only one that will work.

Can you, or anyone, post a Screencast showing how the From/To option (with "Join" active) is supposed to work?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report