Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Dimensioning of a slot on a flat surface

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
adamFSN2X
223 Views, 3 Replies

Proper Dimensioning of a slot on a flat surface

I am dimensioning a slot on a flat surface to send a part out for CnC milling. I am unsure the proper format for dimensioning the slot. Do I dimension every point on the slot then dimension the depth with a section view or hidden line or is there a proper way to dimension it in fewer lines. I attached a screen shot of the drawing with the feature in question highlighted in red.

Respectfully,

Adam

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blandb
in reply to: adamFSN2X

You can do an Auxiliary view off the angled face in the drawing to bring it normal to the sheet, instead of you trying to dimension in the features in the projected view as you have done for the holes.

What is critical about the slot? Center to center, the outside or inside, slot width? 

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 4
adamFSN2X
in reply to: blandb

Hi I originally used auxiliary views to the faces those dimensions were just on a separate sheet. the slot is for an O-ring so its not super critical I was just unsure of the proper practice of dimensioning without over dimensioning leading to a convoluted drawing. I made some changes included is the previous method I used using the auxiliary views and my most recent revision without the auxiliary views. I'm familiar with 3D modeling but transferring the model to a usable 2d drawing to send to a machine shop is where I lack.

p.s. the images labeled new drawing are 2 separate parts

The old drawing is same part but its on 2 sheets(Also noticed I didn't dimension the center position of the hole)

Message 4 of 4
adamFSN2X
in reply to: blandb

Adding old drawing views continuation of previous post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report