Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Geometry Between Sketches of Different Parts in Assembly

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
5727 Views, 15 Replies

Project Geometry Between Sketches of Different Parts in Assembly

Hi, I have a bit of a problem here

I'm trying to project a geometry from sketch to sketch between 2 different part in an assembly

the object I projected is always non-associative so when I make change in the first part the change don't follow to the second part

how can I make the project geometry associative?

it work if I project a work feature like a workplane form part one in the sketch of part 2 but why it don't work for sketch geometry?

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Projetc Geometry between sketch of different part in assembly

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

I am guessing that you do not have the marked "Application Option" "Assembly" tab option checked.  See Attached image

Cross Part Geometry.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

hi , it is checked, both of them

Message 4 of 16
jhackney1972

Can you Pack and Go and then zip the assembly for others to look at?  If it is too large, create a new assembly and place two parts in it then try and replicate the issue.  If you can replicate it in the smaller assembly, pack and go that one and post it.  Otherwise it will be very difficult to "guess" your solution.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 16
dgreatice

Hi,

did you say project geometry from sketch geometry? i think it cant be associative.

associative at cross part geometry projection are model of part like edge, face, etc, but not a sketch geometry.

if you project geometry from sketch, in sketch maybe had constraints fix.

Please use the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or KUDOS button if my Idea helped you to solve the problem.

Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified 2014
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

ok so you have 2 part in the assembly

the one call"LAYOUT STRUCTURE" is a layout of the axes on a building

if you check the sketch "sketch-plan" I put some sketch block for the hss

i'm trying to project the center line of those into the sketch call Sketch-LAYOUT-FAB-PLAN" so I cant line some of the block ther with it

as you see in the sketch the center line of the hss is in pink not yellow like associative projected line

Message 7 of 16
dgreatice

I'm sorry i cant open you file, i'm using inventor 2014.

Like I said before, you cant get assosiative project geometry from sketch geometry. 

if you want to still refer from sketch, you must help that geometry with work feature, like plane, axes or point.

then you can use that feature to get geometry cross another part

Please use the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or KUDOS button if my Idea helped you to solve the problem.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: dgreatice

I tried projecting a workplane and its just put the line all locked up and when I remove the lock its just a line not even link to the other part

Message 9 of 16
dgreatice

Oh, sorry im forgot to tell you, im using derived component first to get work feature.

dont direct project geometry at assembly editing.

place end of part at 2nd Part, derive component to first part, get only work feature first part. then set end of part back to the end.

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: dgreatice

and you can project geometry from one sketch to another sketch in another part in an assembly

I just created 2 part, put them in an assembly, projected geometry from sketch one in part one to sketch 1 in part 2 and it work

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I resolved the problem

the part I was trying to project geometry in was set to adaptive in another assembly, which I did by mistake

so once the adaptivity was remove in the other assembly, everything work just fine

Message 12 of 16
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I think a great workflow you could use for sharing sketches between parts would be using Derive.

DeriveSketch.png

The sketch will be brought in and anything you do to change the original sketch will update in the part that references it.

You can do this with solids as you bring them in as surfaces (the orange curvy glyph at top right Derive Style).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

can you derive a sketch into an existing part?

more like share a sketch?

because the part I need the reference into is an existing part

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

it work I just tested it

thanks Kelly

Message 15 of 16
kelly.young

@Anonymous in my opinion forget you ever saw adaptive parts unless in the R&D phase where it's absolutely awesome and you can just go crazy. For stable modeling derive is your new best friend.

Message 16 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Unless the edge belongs to an assembly feature, projecting an edge from part1 to part2 (with the two options checked) should always lead to adaptive sketch. Could you share the files here?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report