Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with extraneous data when inserting ACAD drawings into Inventor sketch

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
nicpaige
165 Views, 2 Replies

Problem with extraneous data when inserting ACAD drawings into Inventor sketch

When I insert a drawing from ACAD into an Inventor sketch I get the geometry I want but also allot of points or blocks are inserted also that are not in the original ACAD drawing at all. I cant pick these points to delete them even though they highlight when picked.......anyone have a clue how to stop this from happening or get rid of them?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobJV
in reply to: nicpaige

Inventor is a great program but one major problem I have with it s the way it handles autocad drawing imports to the sketch plane.  First of all, most of those points you see are probably centres of radii or circles.  I don't believe there is a way to hide them but somebody could prove me wrong.

I too would like a way of hiding centres as I often import chassis sketches into Inventor and have to fight through the pain of dealing with complicated sketches.  They are cumbersome, slow down the whole system, take forever to import, and then when imported they are extremely hard to work with.  Try moving a large sketch - you might as well go get a coffee.  (I am using a Win7 machine with 12GB of RAM) As well, they are also not reliable.  Try applying fix constraints to some of the points or applying any other constraints.  Often it will actually change the sketch without you knowing until you compare it back to the original acad file.

Lesson:  Try your hardest to never import acad drawings.

Rob

Message 3 of 3
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: RobJV

Hi RobJV, 

You might try making those complex imported sketches into inventor Sketch Blocks, then they'll be a bit easier to work with when you need to move them, etc. But I agree, that it's often better not to paste in from AutoCAD, else the "shortcut" becomes anything but.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report