Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Machined Parts Nested in Assembly Files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RDG3PO
250 Views, 3 Replies

Pre Machined Parts Nested in Assembly Files

I'm working in a new industry and came across something in an Inventor assembly I haven't seen before. An Assembly file had a part placed in it with the pre-machined features (burnout, pilot holes), and the finished machining done at the Assembly level. This seems like a good idea from the perspective of being able to send "flatfiles" of the premachined parts to get burned out, but it adds a level of complexity to the part numbering and BOM structures. 
Does anyone do anything similar in their industry and have an alternative way to deal with this same proceedure?

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Frederick_Law
in reply to: RDG3PO

That's what I do also.

Part number is cheap, way less than a dime for a dozen.

I have weldment that need a few stages of machining and welding which became multiple assemblies and subassemblies.

Its best to have part number for ever stage so everyone know which stage it is in.

Lots of companies has weldment and machining as different part number.

I do keep flat pattern and formed part with same part number if possible.

Now if that designer just put that one part in assembly and do machining, that's not a good idea.

PS:  Just looked at your capture and that designer done it the long way.

I use flat pattern in sheetmetal for FC part.

Model the machined parts.  Create flat.  Edit flat to cover up holes and add FC allowance.

Message 3 of 4
RDG3PO
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Sounds useful, but how do you get around the hobbled modeling environment at the Assembly level? 

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
Message 4 of 4
Frederick_Law
in reply to: RDG3PO

Carefully Smiley LOL

If it can't be done in assembly, derive the assembly into another part.

Assembly only allow removal of material.  So all machine allowance need to be done before.

Basically you need to model the way its made.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report