Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positional reps and assembly structure

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
351 Views, 2 Replies

Positional reps and assembly structure

Frequently the structure of an assembly that is best for manufacturing limits the ability to use positional reps.

During the initial design stage several parts form an assembly. These parts are then demoted into logical sub-assemblies for manufacturing documentation.

I want to maintain the positional reps that were established during the design phase in order to validate motion when needed. If the main assembly contains two sub-assemblies there is no way that I have found to have one of the two sub-assemblies control the positions of the parts in the second. I end up promoting one of the sub-assemblies and blowing away the manufacturing drawing that depended on it. I know that I could use a positional rep and plane constraints to 'dummy' the driving sub-assembly, but then I need to remember to maintain the relationship between those planes and the driving sub-assembly. Other than using a spreadsheet to tie the two together parametrically is there another way?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I could be wrong but I think you are probably looking for Flexible subassembly. Right-click on either subassembly -> check Flexible. Does it work for you?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

That my friend; yes you have helped me many times now, is exactly what I was looking for. It solves my problem and expands my capabilities. Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report