Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

placing a part and redefining the sketch plane

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
387 Views, 6 Replies

placing a part and redefining the sketch plane

Hi

I have an assembly of a column support, and I have placed a lug into it, constraining it off the column. I then wish to redefine the lug sketch to a work plane (in the assembly), and cant. But if i make an inplace part on the work plane, i can. What is the difference between these parts? Both of them are adaptive. Can i place a part from a part file, then redefine the sketch to a work plane in the assembly? Or is this going on my list?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

lug.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

can you attach the files ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
admaiora
in reply to: mdavis22569

Just an advice, void adaptive parts if your are not totally aware of the pro and cons of that modeling direction.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 7
SBix26

If I'm understanding correctly, creating an in-place part in an assembly does not actually put the sketch on the assembly workplane, it merely creates a sketch on a plane in the part and automatically constrains it to the assembly workplane, with adaptive projected geometry from the assembly.

So your workflow would be to place your part, then in-place edit the part, edit the sketch in question and project geometry from the assembly as needed.

But... I'm with admaiora in recommending that you find other ways to do what you're trying to do.  Adaptivity can be very useful, but it is also not nearly as robust as deriving (in my experience), which is the basis for multi-body modeling and skeletal modeling.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 R3 SP1 Update 1
Vault Basic 2016 SP1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Autodesk_Inventor_Certified_Professional_Badge.png

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Sam

Yes i agree that the in-place part doesn't neccesarily use the assembly work plane, unless you select it. It will use what ever plane you select, including the added work plane in my case.

My background is Solidworks, in which you can either place a part and edit the sketch to reference it to any work plane (reference plane) or surface earlier in the timeline, or you can make an in-place and do the same. But, in Inventor, it seems that i can only use an in-place part if i want to reference my added workplane for the part sketch - i cannot bring in a part then edit the sketch plane to reference to any other assembly plane, and i can only contrain it using features.

It seems that Inventor doesn't support adaptive parts/assemblies nearly as seemlessly (lots of warnings from users), as i have used them extensively with Solidworks so expect to do the same here. I hope i am wrong. Not that i have much experience with derived parts,  but i cant seem to use them in my assembly, when placing other frame assemblies. Maybe i should be looking more into derived parts, or maybe what i am experiencing is a limitation?

I have attached the assembly if you're interested.

Regards

Andrew

Message 6 of 7
hncarle

I have found adaptive parts in both SolidWorks and Inventor can be very useful for placement of parts / holes etc.  But as soon as you get everything in place and are happy BREAK (SolidWorks) / TURN OFF adaptivity ( Inventor)!!! 

There are two main reasons:

1.   Adaptive parts makes the computer work harder.  It is constantly "checking the numbers" with the adaptive part. In a large assembly you can get hung up for "hours."

2.   If you move a part that has something connected to it with adaptivity, your holes, alignments can blow up!  I worked for a company that the previous drafter had made THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY ADAPTIVE.  EVERYTHING was connected to everything else.  Stupid thing kept exploding.  Took me days to elliminate every link.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: hncarle

SS.png

When your assembly is massive and has complex surfaces, trust me, it is very handy and works once you train yourself to set it up correctly. As for making the PC struggle - fast PCs are easy to come by.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report