Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Export Error

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
SteveGlover8744
3115 Views, 10 Replies

PDF Export Error

I have an issue with exporting to PDF from an Inventor 2014 IDW.

It is PC related.

My PC at work is fine.

My home PC throws up this message when I try to open the PDF.

PDF-Error.png

Now, there is absolutely no way that there is another application using this document other than Inventor itself.

One solution I tried was to turn off the "view this item" bit via the export options in the DWF export options.

This is definitely a PC issue because at work I'm doing this task effortlessly.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem...???

Will try to re-install Adobe Reader.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

And when I try to open the PDF that I thouight I exported I get this............

PDF-Error-2.png

Anybody had this before...???

The PDF's exported from my work PC open fine, no problem.

Message 3 of 11

One idea that comes to mind is it might be that Inventor isn't done creating the pdf before it attempts to automatically open it.  And then when Inv attempted to automatically open it it corrupted it for good.

So you've got part way into the next test it sounds like, you have disabled the option to automatically open the pdf.  What you should test next is to generate another pdf out of Inventor and then wait for say up to 5 mins and then try to open it.  While you should not have to wait so long to produce a pdf (usually they are generated pretty quickly), it would be a good test to do now and may indicate your home system just needs to take a bit longer to create the pdf's.  You may find you will have to leave the option disabled to automatically open pdf's at home and just go with that "solution".

Another idea is - is it possible you have an older version of Adobe or what ever software you are using to open pdf's with?  If so, update that and try again.

edit, and I forgot to mention one of the first things to check...what version of Service Pack or Updates is Inv 2014 at?  If it's not completely up to date with what Autodesk has made available...that is the first thing you should do.

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 11

Hi SteveGlover874,

Following on what ampster suggests, here is a link explaining how to disable the automatic opening of PDFs:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2012/08/disable-automatic-pdf-display.html

Here is an IdeaStation idea to make this setting independent of the DWF setting:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Disable-Automatic-PDF-Viewer-Display/idi-p/381627...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 11

I have done some more tests.

Opened a new drawing and just created some lines then exported PDF no problem.

So this document doesn't have any links to anything because it's not saved or it doesn't "live" anywhere.

The drawings that I get problems with come out of the Vault.

It doesn't matter how long I wait it's simply not getting exported without these issues.

Another thing I noticed during these tests is to do with trying to delete the PDF.

Have a look at this error.............

PDF-Error-4.png

Now, how can Inventor have the file open...???

The quick test drawing is easily deleted, no link back to Inventor.

So my thinking is there might be some sort of link back to Vault maybe on the lines of visualisation files or DWF etc.

Any ideas...???

Message 6 of 11

It's been yrs since I've worked with Vault.  It sounds like you are possibly opening from Vault and attempting to create the pdf...and considering it's your home pc that is having the problem...my guess is the bottleneck in this situation is your home connection to your company network/Vault.

Soooo, the only solution to this may be you have to have the Inventor file/s local when attempting to create pdf's at least, ie, the file/s you use to attempt to create pdf's from will need to be on your home pc and not located within Vault - or at least do not attempt to use the copy from Vault to create the pdf from.

Sorry, I know there is some preferred way to working with files when they are in Vault when it comes to a process you are describing here but I am not sure what that recommended process should be today.

Message 7 of 11

Hi Ampster,

I really appreciate evertyone's time on this.

I have the Vault files checked out to my local machine so there is a local copy of it on my home PC.

Either checked out or not checked out, neither work.

I even tried logging out of Vault and just using the local copy stand-alone.

Inventor Pro 2014 64-Bit Build 170 & Adobe Reader XI v11.0.07 up to date on both PC's.

Message 8 of 11

np helping out!

So your files are local, but there is some sort of tie in to Vault happening it appears. 

1. Are there any updates or SP's for Vault?  I don't know if those updates would apply just to the Vault server or perhaps individual pc's that connect to it.  I have not taken the time to check Autodesk Support specifically for Vault updates and am only throwing out different ideas as to what to check!

2. IS it possible to disconnect from your companies network completely and then attempt to create a pdf of a Vault file that has been checked out to you?

3.  What happens if you create a copy of the file you've check out of Vault and then rename the copy to something completely different, can you create a pdf of that?

4.  After you check a file back into Vault, yrs ago there was an option to delete local copies apon check in.  I'm wondering if that option exists still and if so, disable it for another test...check the file into Vault and retain that local copy.  Perhaps log out of Vault for this test and now try to create a pdf of the file you just checked in and kept a copy of...does that work?

I suspect you see where I'm going with these tests..Vault appears to be "holding" onto the file somehow and there just has to be a documented or preferred way to deal with this.

hang in there, there should be a way to deal with this or some solution - I can't imagine you are the first person who has attempted this..

Message 9 of 11
bob_holland
in reply to: ampster401

ampster,

You do have Inventor 2014 SP2 loaded correct:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in...

Do you have a PDF writer like CutePDF or PDF995?

If so can you print your IDW/DWG to that device and have it create a PDF?

Can you export the fiel to C:\Temp?

Have you ever been able to export PDF files before?

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 10 of 11

Hi Ampster & Bob,

Many thanks for sharing your thought processes.

I hope you have time to read this, here goes..............

I have three basic errors.

Error 1. The file is already open or in use by another application.

Error 2. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

Error 3. The action can't be completed because the file is open in Inventor.

So, to take on board all of your ideas..........

Install Inventor SP2 [ Build 246 ], sorry I thought I had done that.   😉

Connect to company VPN Open Inventor, Log In to Vault & Check Out DWG.

Export PDF & wait 60 seconds.

Locate & open PDF - Error 1.

Delete PDF - Error 3.

Undo Check Out DWG, close Inventor & delete PDF.

Disconnect from company VPN.

Open Inventor & DWG.

Export & Open PDF, Error 1.

Save a copy of original DWG as FILE_COPY.DWG, close original, open FILE_COPY.DWG, export PDF, open PDF - Error 1.

Delete FILE_COPY.PDF - Error 3.

Close Inventor & try to Open copy FILE_COPY.PDF, Error 2.

Open Inventor, create a new part [ a cylinder ], save new part, create new DWG, don't open Vault database.

Create dimensions, border etc., save cylinder.dwg, export cylinder.pdf, open cylinder.pdf - Error 1.

Close Inventor, try to open cylinder.pdf - Error 2.

Open Inventor, change project file to local PC only, no Vault.

Create cylinder part as above, close Inventor & try to open PDF - Error 2.

Create a DWG, no part, just a draft view with some random lines, no problems.

Install CutePDF, no problems.

Whilst I accept this as a work-around, I don't accept it as a resolve to the issue of exporting pdf's from Inventor.

There is a bit of tediousness with CutePDF because it requires the user check the location where the pdf gets dumped.

Inventor just dumps the PDF where you're working which I really like.

There must be a glich between Adobe & Autodesk on my home PC, but not on company PC.

I will give it the kudos and thanks for your valued help with this.

Many many thanks & Cheers!

Steve.

Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11

Steve,

I would like you to login to your home computer as new user.

Create a part from scratch and then export a PDF.

Does it work?

What version of Adobe Acrobat are you utilizing?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report