Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterning a seed component that is already part of another pattern

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
946 Views, 3 Replies

Patterning a seed component that is already part of another pattern

Hi,

in feature patterns you can pattern a feature, like this hole:

1.png

2.png

You can then select the same seed feature to create another pattern:

3.png

The same doesn't seem to be possible in assembly rectagular patterns.

I have inserted the plate into an assembly:

4.png

I pattern it a first time:

5.png

I would then like to pattern seed component a second time, but it doesn't allow me to, it obliges me to pattern all components:

6.png

I think the source of the issue (not being able to pattern seed component a second time) is that seed component has been absorbed in the first pattern, and you're not allowed to make it indipendent from the pattern.

In attach is my sample assembly.

Is this a limitaton and what would be the best workaround ?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn't open the assembly - but what attaches to these plates?

Maybe a better/faster solution would be to have feature pattern in a mating part and then simply place the plates in the assembly via the mating part feature pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Alex,

There are two ways to solve the problem. Like JD indicated, you could use feature pattern driven component pattern. Basically, create a feature pattern of a feature or a workpoint in a part in the way you want the component to be pattern. Then in the assembly, select the feature pattern as the guide and select the component you want to pattern.

The other way is to make the pattern components independent. Simply right-click on the pattern occurrence in the browser -> Independent. Once you do that, the occurrence is no longer part of the original pattern.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for your replies.

I guess the best solution is Jeffrey's.

I can't exclude from the pattern seed component, and moreover by excluding it is unconstrained.

I find it weird that there's not consistency between feature pattern behaviour and component pattern behaviour.

In Fusion 360 behaviour is consistent, since I can create a second pattern and choose seed component.

seed.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report