Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Stress Analysis: meaning of "Smart Set of Configurations"

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
SašoPrijatelj
722 Views, 3 Replies

Parametric Stress Analysis: meaning of "Smart Set of Configurations"

Hi,

I can't find a definitive answer to this: what does option "Smart Set of Configurations" when performing parametric stress analysis mean? I've read a short description in help but I'm still not 100% sure how it works.

sim1.png

Let's say we have 3 variable parameters, each has 3 different values. I we create "Exhaustive set of Simulations" all of the combinations will be solved. In this case that is 3^3=27 possible configurations. How many will be solved if "Smart Set of Configurations" is used and how precise are the interpolated results?

Thanks,

Sašo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AutoDXF - automatic flat pattern creation and batch export to DXF for Inventor

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
raviburla
in reply to: SašoPrijatelj

Hi,

Smart set of configurations drastically reduces the number of configurations that need to be solved.

Lets say we have an N-dimensional parametric space and each dimension has Mi parameters. So, the total number of configurations will be M1*M2*M3..*MN, and these number of configurations will be solved when exhaustive set is chosen.

However, when smart set of configuration is chosen, then each configuration (other than base) is created by changing one parameter value and keeping all the other parameter values at the base configuration. So the total number of configurations will be [ (M1 + M2 + M3 ... + MN) - N + 1 ]. As can be seen the total number of configurations will be much smaller when compared to exhaustive set.

For example, lets say the parametric space is 3D (as in your example) and the parameters be D1: [ p11, p12, p1b, p13, p14], D2:[p21, p22, p2b, p23, p24] and D3:[p31, p32, p3b, p33, pb4]. Please note that it is not necessary to have same number of parameters in each dimension and its also not necessary to have base configuration as the mid-parameter.

So the smart set configurations will be{ [p1b, p2b, p3b], [p11, p2b, p3b ], [p12, p2b, p3b], ... [p1b, p21, p2b], .. so on } - a total of 13 configurations.

With respect to the precision in the approximation: A response surface is created based on the values from the smart-set configuration to get the values for all the remaining configuration. As with any numerical approximations, the accuracy depends on the choice of parametric space and behavior of the model in the parameteric space. Usually, the precision is very reasonable and accurate.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Ravi Burla

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer
Message 3 of 4
SašoPrijatelj
in reply to: raviburla

Hi, Ravi,

thank you for detailed explanation. You should add this information to Inventor help.

Best regards,

Sašo Prijatelj

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AutoDXF - automatic flat pattern creation and batch export to DXF for Inventor

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 4 of 4
raviburla
in reply to: SašoPrijatelj

Hi Saso,

I am glad that the explanation was helpful for you. Also, Thank you for the suggestion for enhancing the documentation.

Thanks,

Ravi Burla

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report