Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&ID Templates.. Can I use Inventor rather than AutoCad?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Compressor-01
3263 Views, 6 Replies

P&ID Templates.. Can I use Inventor rather than AutoCad?

Need to begin a library of P&ID drawings based on a fairly standard product of ours. We currently have a lot of these already in CAD however, not being a fan of Autocad I prefer to utilize Inventor when possible. Is there a way to use Inventor for these with out a whole lot of trouble?

Since most of our symbols are in block form in a tool bar library in CAD, Im wondering if there is a way these might be used in some form of the 2011 Inventor release. We have just began to use the 2011 version as of last week, so go easy with tecnical terms please.  Thanks for any info ahead of time!

Keep in mind I havent become real familiar with Inventor 2011 yet, but.... It seems that I have spottedd a few things that make it a bit more friendly concerning ACAD drawings. Are you able to open them in Inventor now? Manipulate them?

Thanks!!!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Anyone have any input on this?

Message 3 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Compressor-01

@Compressor-01 wrote:

Is there a way to use Inventor for these with out a whole lot of trouble?

Since most of our symbols are in block form in a tool bar library in CAD, Im wondering if there is a way these might be used in some form of the 2011 Inventor release.

I haven't experimented with this, but I think if it is going to work it will involve Sketched Symbols in the drawing (idw) environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
BMiller63
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven't experimented with this, but I think if it is going to work it will involve Sketched Symbols in the drawing (idw) environment.

Or instead of IDWs, use Inventor DWGs and copy/import your AutoCAD blocks.

or

use this:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_plant_design_suite_2011_-_product_brochure_pages.pdf

I have no experince with AutoCAD P&!D or AutoCAD Plant Design so I don't know how they compare to Inventor.

Message 5 of 7
Compressor-01
in reply to: BMiller63

Thx for the help here. As I work on this throughout the day today, I realized I should just continue with using ACAD and utilize layersfor the multiple representaions I need to show.

More work up front but better than creating these everytime I need them or copying and modifying.

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Compressor-01

@Compressor-01 wrote:

More work up front but better than creating these everytime I need them or copying and modifying.

Thanks again!

Inventor Sketched Symbols are roughly the equivalent of AutoCAD Blocks.  You can build a library, but not sure if you could build in the flexibility you have in AutoCAD. 

I would hold off any attempt to adapt Inventor for this until you have mastered the other functionality in Inventor.
I have not heard of anyone using Inventor as you describe, but I kind of think it would be possible.  I think I might miss attributes and maybe a bit more from AutoCAD so there is probably good reason there are products specific for this purpose.  I just think it might be an interesting experiment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
cmcconnell
in reply to: JDMather

There is no way to connect Sketched Symbols together or draw lines between them in Inventor. This is a long time wish.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums