Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overmolded cables in Cable & Harness

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Brendan.Thorpe
436 Views, 8 Replies

Overmolded cables in Cable & Harness

What is the best practice for creating overmolded cables in Inventor Cable & Harness environment? In my case, these cables are purchased already overmolded and may terminate in a power plug, sealed electro-mechanical component, connector, etc. It seems I will have to create the part and place a number of pins hidden within the part for the other end of the cable/wires to connect. This both feels clunky and does not transfer well to a nailboard view. 

I'm really only interested in demonstrating where to land the flying leads on the other end of the cable...

I appreciate any insight/ideas.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Brendan.Thorpe

Cable/Harness leaves A LOT to be desired though as its not used by enough to justify new features/functionality over the years..

You basically have a cable assembly and one end is already connectorized/overmolded with flying leads/stubs out the other side right?

Got a picture or something..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
Brendan.Thorpe
in reply to: mcgyvr

I know there's a lot to be desired.. I'm just hoping someone has a better solution before I implement what I consider a very clunky solution..

For example, we use a power cable like this:

70355k71p1-d01b-digitall_635996258930000000.png

I need to demonstrate where these leads are landed after it passes through the cord grip into the enclosure. At the moment the only way I can figure to do this is create pin locations hidden within the overmolded connector to connect the other end of the wires...

Message 4 of 9
mcgyvr

@brendan.thorpe wrote:

I need to demonstrate where these leads are landed after it passes through the cord grip into the enclosure. At the moment the only way I can figure to do this is create pin locations hidden within the overmolded connector to connect the other end of the wires...

Well.. Sounds like a plan.. Thats actually what it is in real life... 

I'd just model the plug.. Extrude a hole in the end and throw the pins down in the bottom of that hole.. make it deep enough so your segment,ends all hide down in there nicely..

I might whip one up and see how it works myself doing that.. Should be just fine.. Not really clunky.. Its how it really is.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 9
mcgyvr

Quickly but yes.. Its simple.. Maybe make a point a bit recessed in the plug hole to act as a point for the segment to keep it in there and be done..

plug.PNG

Message 6 of 9
Brendan.Thorpe

While that's true that it's how it actually is.. it's not part of the process that I need to demonstrate. 

Maybe I'm just being too picky, but here's a power supply with an overmolded cable/flying leads. When I pull it into a nailboard/idw, it's shown in a way that's going to be very confusing on a manufacturing drawing. I can do some manual edits on the drawing and add notes to clear it up.. but then I have to do that for every single overmolded component I use (which is quite a few and quite often). Just hoping for a better "best practice" before I move forward doing them this way..

2017-02-16_14-54-02.jpg

As a side note, I'm currently in 2015 - so if there's anything new with this in 2017 I'm not familiar with it, but I could move this to 2017 if it's worth it.

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr

@brendan.thorpe wrote:

As a side note, I'm currently in 2015 - so if there's anything new with this in 2017 I'm not familiar with it, but I could move this to 2017 if it's worth it.

Wouldn't matter if you had Inventor 2008 or even earlier Smiley Very Happy NOTHING has changed.. 

A single pin right at the entry of the cable would work too and avoid your "recessed" look/confusion in the nailboard..

Message 8 of 9
Brendan.Thorpe

@mcgyvr wrote:

Wouldn't matter if you had Inventor 2008 or even earlier Smiley Very Happy NOTHING has changed.. 

I guess that REALLY answers my question.. bummer. 

Thanks for the help. 

Message 9 of 9
ADSKDJW4

Hello @Brendan.Thorpe,

I have looked over the thread and agree with mcgyvr's comments about the cable and harness environment lacking this functionality. The only thing I can suggest is to post this request in the Inventor Ideas Forum to be considered for future release. The product managers there do monitor these requests and I would like to see these types of issues at least presented to them showing these challenges.

Regards,

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report