Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening STP Files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bruce.davidsonNU4CV
9107 Views, 5 Replies

Opening STP Files

Hi,

I am looking into an issue someone has passed to me, where they are unable to open STP files. I've contacted the company that supplied the files originally and they said they were done in Autodesk Inventor, but they've since switched to Solid Works and the work they did hasn't been copied over.

I've tried downloading Autodesk Inventor Viewer, but none of the versions I've tried will allow me to open STP files. Is there a way to get round this? I've tried 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2017.

Thanks,

Bruce

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Can you explain better?

You can't open STEP files in Inventor viewer.

You have to find other viewer to do so.

Maybe is better to ask your supplier to send you in solidworks format and try with a solidworks viewer.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Am I right in saying that STP files are Autodesk Inventor files? Or have I got that part wrong?

The vendor has said that they can't do anything for us, as they were originally created in an application they no longer use/have access to. So we need to find a viewer that will allow us to view them.

I was hoping that Inventor Viewer would have allowed this, but if this isn't the case then we will need to look for an alternative solution.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 6

@bruce.davidsonNU4CV wrote:

1. they are unable to open STP files.

2. I've contacted the company that supplied the files originally and they said they were done in Autodesk Inventor, but they've since switched to Solid Works and the work they did hasn't been copied over.

3. I've tried downloading Autodesk Inventor Viewer, .....

1. Using what software (be specific) to try to open.  Can you attach the STEP file here?

2. All of this is irrelevant to the problem.

3. Why?  Do you not have Autodesk Inventor?  The Viewer is for viewing Autodesk Inventor files.  If all you need to do is view the STEP files, then use Autodesk A360 Viewer.

But what do you really really want to do with the files?

STEP files are not Inventor files - they are neutral format files that any CAD program can read.  The fact that your vendor doesn't know that they can open with SolidWorks is disturbing.  You should ask them to join this discussion.

Can you attach the file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I have tried Autodesk Inventor Viewer versions 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2017 to see if any of them would open the files, but none of them worked.

No, we don't have Autodesk Inventor at the company I work for and due to the Oil Price just now it's unlikely that we will be purchasing new software, which is why we are looking for a free viewer. 

I've attached a copy of one of the files to this post. I've also tried it in the A360 viewer link you supplier above (thanks for that) but unfortunately, it didn't work.  The error I get is 

Processing failed

Design failed to translate.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6

@bruce.davidsonNU4CV wrote:

No, we don't have Autodesk Inventor ...,

What are you going to do with these files if you don't have any CAD software program?

View.png

I was able to view in A360 Viewer without issue.

A360 Viewer.png

If you need a CAD software program - you might try Autodesk Fusion 360 which you might qualify for getting for free,

Even if you cannot get for free - it is very very inexpensive.

Fusion 360.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report