Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New local content center is blank

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
amixdorfURHZU
383 Views, 14 Replies

New local content center is blank

Our vault has the content center and works great but has no read/write folder. I wanted to publish some custom frame generator profiles  so i created a new library to the local content center. 

My issue is when i go to publish the part i can not publish it because the wizard needs a category but my content center is blank. Do i need to upload standard libraries to the local content center in order to use it? Can i not just create my own folder to publish to?

Thanks

Andrew

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
CGBenner
in reply to: amixdorfURHZU

@amixdorfURHZU 

Hi, let me clarify.  You are using Vault Content?  What did you do to create you Read/Write library?  A new library will be empty until you populate it with something.  If you want to add to, or make changes to an existing Read Only content family, you can use Save Copy As or Copy To to add it to your Read/Write library.  Then you should be able to modify that family table.  You can also do this with a Category to add it to your library.  If you want to publish to a Custom Category, you must first create the new category, and also use the type "Other" when you Author your components.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 15
amixdorfURHZU
in reply to: CGBenner

To clarify, i'm not using the vault. I have created a local library that is blank, it seems like i need to put some parts in the library before i can publish custom parts to the library, i am struggling to populate the new local library. Do i just need an ICDL? Seem to be reading a lot of conflicting info on what is needed for a local library to work.

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
CGBenner

@amixdorfURHZU You may just need to create a category for your parts.  Can you give some more information on what it is you are publishing?  Then maybe I can give you a more detailed workflow to follow.

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 15
amixdorfURHZU

Capture3.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture.PNG

Message 6 of 15
amixdorfURHZU

Hopefully these pictures give you a better idea of where i am at. I made a basic square shape that ill use for frame generator.

I had all of this working but i started to mess with BOM and in the process screwed up the profiles family table so im starting fresh. Not sure what i did differently when i originally set this up

Message 7 of 15
CGBenner

@amixdorfURHZU 

First thing I notice is that all of your standard content libraries are Red... not a good sign.  Do you need those to be active?  What do you see when you click on one of those?  

Next thing, are you trying to recreate a standard square tube library?  Because if we can fix problem 1 above, you may not need to.  Or is this a custom profile that was not available in the standard library?

Chris Benner

Message 8 of 15
amixdorfURHZU

They are red because they are through the vault. Here in this image is what the library look like when i change the application option from local content center back to vault content center. 

The profile is custom, cant just be a modified square tube section, and i have some goofier shapes that i will eventually want to upload so i would like to get this sorted out.

Capture4.PNG

Message 9 of 15
imajar

In that first structural shapes authoring dialog, in the category drop down, I get a list of eligible shapes.  So, I select a shape, select the profile, go the next tab and assign a parameter to the base length, then click publish.  The next dialog is where you select the library to publish it to.  At which point in this process is it not working?

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 10 of 15
amixdorfURHZU
in reply to: imajar

The issue is that the category drop down has no options since there is nothing in the content center. I can not get past that step in the authoring process

Message 11 of 15
CGBenner

In your new library, create a new category for that shape.  Then you should be able to publish it.

I'm curious why you decided to make you custom library local instead of keeping them all in the Vault, but lets fix this issue first.

Chris Benner

Message 12 of 15
amixdorfURHZU

How do i go about crating a category? I have not found the answer for that online. 

I would love to keep it all on the vault but that would not work with how the company i work for is set up. People who have admin privileges for the vault work at our sister company and getting them to make changes is a slow process to say the least.

Message 13 of 15
CGBenner

In your new library, on the blank white space, right click and choose Create Category.  Give it a name that will make it easy to remember what's in it as your library grows.  And you're off and running.  The key is that any custom category must be created before the Authoring and publishing phase.

Then when you author your shape, you should see "Other" as a Type option.  Always choose other if you plan to publish in a custom category.

Chris Benner

Message 14 of 15
imajar

I've been playing around with it.  It looks like you must have an active library that has some structural shapes content in it (even if that is not the library where you will be publishing to).  Just creating a category is not enough.

I cant get get it to work in a new library without copying.  Unfortunately, my experience with content center and vault is limited.  See if you can copy one of the vault content centers to local so you can access it outside of vault (using the transfer library guide).  Then, activate that library in your project and then try publishing again.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 15 of 15
CGBenner
in reply to: imajar

@amixdorfURHZU 

Hmmm, @imajar made a great observation.  It's not the same as with tube & pipe.  

Have you tried using the Library Transfer wizard, from your Vault project?  So... with the Vault Content Libraries active try the transfer wizard from Vault Server to Inventor Desktop.  Choose the library which contains the structural shapes.  It should create a local library that you can attach to your local content project.  Be careful that it goes to the default library location.

THIS Document may help.

Chris Benner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report