Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DACC Shaft and Gear guided tutorial (with audio!) released today

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Paul.Normand
1110 Views, 5 Replies

New DACC Shaft and Gear guided tutorial (with audio!) released today

Hi everyone,

I released a new guided tutorial for design accelerator shaft and gear generation (for 2018) today.

In response to your feedback that the task videos need audio to be more effective, I added voice to the videos in this tutorial.

Please let us know what you think either by responding to this post or by sending us feedback at:

Guided.Tutorials.Feedback@autodesk.com

Thanks!

Paul

Paul Normand
Principal Content Developer/SME
Design Lifecycle and Simulation (DLS)
Autodesk, Inc.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: Paul.Normand

I looked in the help but could not find the tutorial.  Can you provide a link to it here or tell us where to look?

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 3 of 6
Paul.Normand
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

The new guided tutorial format access point is mentioned in the help, but the tutorials themselves are not a part of the written help content.

Some of them are installed with the software (Learning Path), while others are available in the cloud.

To access the tutorial cloud gallery:

• Make sure you are connected to the internet and then start Inventor.
  • Click the Get Started tab in the ribbon and then click Tutorial Gallery (2018) or Tutorials (2017) in the My Home panel.
  • Set Type =  Available Tutorials, Skill Level = All, Topics = All, Language = English

In the gallery window, change Sort by to Recently Added and the newest tutorials will display first. If sorted by Title, look for Design Accelerator - Shafts and Gears.

I should also add that this is a 2018 tutorial will not show up in the gallery if you are running 2017.

If you want more information about the tutorials, here's a link to an article I wrote about the tutorial concept and a list of all currently available tutorials: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/46411

If you have any comments on the tutorials, please send them to our email address: Guided.Tutorials.Feedback@autodesk.com

Thanks!

Paul

Paul Normand
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6
LT.Rusty

Finally had a chance to check this out today.

I like the way the tutorial is set up, the functionality, etc. I've got a couple issues with this particular one, though, in terms of technique and execution.

Whenever I recorded an Inventor class lecture video for something like this where there were large sets of numbers that had to be entered, I'd always either show a table on-screen (with large enough text to be easily visible) or at least say the numbers out loud, and slowly enough that the students could follow along. That was done in generating the spur gears, but it was not done in generating the shafts.Trying to squint and read the numbers as he's entering them, in a heavily-compressed video stream? That's ... not the easiest thing to do.

That's probably the biggest issue, for me.

I didn't really like the technique that he used to create the keyed hole in part 7, but I understand why he did it that way. That's probably a matter of personal style as much as anything else, but if a beginning user gets in the habit of doing things that way, it could lead them into trouble later. Bad habits should be broken before they start, etc.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
dankle43

Paul,

How were you able to attach audio to your screencast?

Korey

Message 6 of 6
Paul.Normand
in reply to: dankle43

Hi Korey,

Screencast lets you record audio when you record the video but I'd recommend using something other than the built-in microphone. 

Because Screencast provides very little in the way of editing tools it, can be hard to get audio and video exactly the way you want it.

In this tutorial, I actually recorded in Screencast, then downloaded as an mp4 and imported into a video editing tool where I added and synced the audio. I then exported as a .webm file and attached to the tutorial.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Normand
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report