Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesting Utility - Processing both sides

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NachitoMax
488 Views, 6 Replies

Nesting Utility - Processing both sides

Hi

Im using the Nesting Utility to organise my MDF parts. Some of my parts have 2 sides of processing. manually, we would layout the part then flip it and carry out a 2nd process for the other side.

how can i  (if at all possible) have the nested part and also include another instance of the part but flipped over to access the other side? see image below show 2 side processing

Red = process 1

Blue = process 2

cnc1.png

Thanks

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MattWynn
in reply to: NachitoMax

If you are using Inventor CAM, you can simply create a second setup for machining the other side.

If you are not using Inventor CAM, I would ask why not?

Matt Wynn
Senior Manager, Software Development, Fusion Fabrication
Message 3 of 7
NachitoMax
in reply to: MattWynn

Hi

not everyone in geared up for that yet in my industry. typically, everyone works the same way and those with CNC's use licom or Genio. Invenor (parametric) is still in the process of onboarding.

Lots of companies are still manually nesting components and writing the required info for the CNC operator

Nacho

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 7
MattWynn

>>>Lots of companies are still manually nesting components and writing the required info for the CNC operator

Understood.  That is why we have added automatic nesting and CAM to Inventor and Fusion 360.  Inventor CAM is very easy to use for 3D routers and you can get toolpath and NC code quickly.  What kind of cutter do you have?  Lets see if we have a postprocessor for that.  I'm sure we can save you time.

If you use the manufacturing model to create CAD of the nest you can reorient it however you want.

So what is your workflow now, to cut the one side, after creating a nest in Inventor?

Matt Wynn
Message 5 of 7
NachitoMax

Hi

currently, i am looking for the right workflow. our current workflow is not to use nesting inside Inventor as its too restrictive. Sure you get some fancy reports but 80% of that is bumpf no one uses and there isnt an option to create your own. Seeing as adding simple stuff like descriptive text to the nested parts (even though its inside inventor) isnt an option either nor is exporting the nest to a dxf that includes the populated text that is displays on the nest, i cant see much of future for it yet. With respect, Autodesk software does need to be more stable for companies (at least in our industry) to make a drastic change. Thing is, the current process used works ok so why change it right?

to answer the question, we would have 2 instances of the part (1 for each side). we would toolpath both, machine one side from the bottom left of the machine axis then literally flip it over and cut the other side.

The industry is shopfitting & design and most of the companies does not use 5 axis,  they use 3 axis thus no 3D machining available. Here is an example of our cnc part noted for 2 sides

CNC1.png

i was hoping to utilize the nesting tool inside Inventor to expedite our current workflow which is: lay out each part flat in an assembly on the XY plane, place it into a drawing sheet and export it as DXF.

Nacho

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
MattWynn

You can customize the reports, see https://help.autodesk.com/view/TNNUINV/ENU/?guid=GUID-90419F67-92EE-4A52-9D81-BB8C77474F48 , it does require some HTML and javascript skills.

I'm asking exactly what machine you have so we can find if we have an existing postprocessor for it, I'm looking for manufacturer, model, controller.

The dxf output from nesting (you don't need a drawing sheet, see https://help.autodesk.com/view/TNNUINV/ENU/?guid=GUID-AE0A867C-C106-417A-8975-2AFF2DE8BB35) is not really suitable for driving a 3 axis machine for two sides.  I'm sure you realize that you have developed a very specific process, (probably using layers, colors, linestyles, and z axis geometry) for using dxf geometry to drive a 3 axis machine tool.

I'm interested in your comment about adding descriptive text to the nest.  Are you talking about labeling the parts in the dxf, using the machine to mark part numbers, or some other thing?

When you are ready to make the transition to designing with 3D solids, and using CAM to program your parts instead of DXF, nesting can arrange parts ready for CAM.  Step 1 is to program a single two sided part in Inventor CAM and create a program for your machine - once this is working, you can add nesting to the workflow.

Matt Wynn
Message 7 of 7
NachitoMax

Hi

Im not sure of the actual machine spec, i can tell you the basics like

Model = SCM Tech 100 - 10 x 4 bed 3 axis cnc.

please see image below, in our industry of wood based products, most Companies (at least the ones i know) all work on this basis which is to have a labelled part, add labels depth labels grooves, rebates and then show the other side as 'flipped'. The machine operator then organises his process by milling out one side, flipping the part the 0,0 (XY) and processing the other side.

cnc part.png

in regard to labels, a certain amount of information is required in a DXF file, much more than just a profile as that doesnt explain much. We dont need text to have parts marked, thats done with sticky labels bu we do need information that tells the CNC programmer what we need.

I get the idea of 3D milling using HSM or similar but you're talking about changing the mindset of most people in an industry and that isnt really going to happen over night. Right now, our CNC guy can get parts like this, organise them as required and run them on a machine in very little time

Thanks

Nacho

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report