Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesting Utility is a bit too aggressive

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
spencer
695 Views, 4 Replies

Nesting Utility is a bit too aggressive

Having some weirdness with the Nesting Utility that should probably be looked at. Gist of the problem is that Inventor is trying really hard to make everything an .inest

Examples of what I'm talking about:

1. When demoting parts/assemblies, the Template selection changes to "Standard.inest" if any changes are made in the dialog box

2. When importing .stp files, the file would be imported as an .iam, but would not have the assembly environment available, only the nesting environment. Only way to get a proper import was to disable the Nesting Utility completely

3. I suspect the nesting utility might be the cause of a bad Content Center part, as after editing a custom part and replacing the family template Inventor was unable to insert the part from the CC, and I rebuilt the part only to get the same error. Once I disabled the nesting utility and rebuilt the part again I was able to get it working though

And on the topic of the Nesting Utility, but it'd be real nice if the output wouldn't just say "X many sheets of material", but would actually say "X many sheets of Y size material, etc"

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: spencer

I suspect your problems 1+2 have to do with template files that are mixed up or confused.

Could you try to reset your template files to the default situation by going to Application Options > Files > Configure Default template.

For problem 3, I would like to receive a copy of your ipt file to see if I can reproduce the problem on my end. 

And on your last remark, are you referring to the plate quantity in the Report?

If so, be aware that we are planning to completely overhaul the Report to make it more user friendly and in that context we will gladly consider your suggestions for improvement.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 5
spencer
in reply to: bobvdd

I assume you mean the below options for 1 and 2? I poked around at them but there was no change in behavior, though I did realize that the import issue only seems to affect .stp files, which frankly are most of what we import.

2018-05-23 09_26_39-NA225 - [Prelim Layout.iam].png

As for 3, I went through several dozen attempts to get things working, but the 'Curved' track should be the working one that I uploaded to the CC, and the 'Curve' track being a broken one that was uploaded but couldn't be generated

Edit:  It seems the forum won't let me attach the .ipt's, it's just stripping them from my post without even an error message

First File

Second File

Message 4 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: spencer

Send the files to my email address bob.van.der.donck@autodesk.com.

I am also curious what happens when you start a new assembly or open your default assembly template.

Do you see a nesting tab show up in the ribbon in a regular assembly? 

If that is the case, you can remove nestiong data from the file by running the macro that I explained in this other newsgroup post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/demote-creates-sub-assembly-with-inest-template/td-p/7...

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 5
spencer
in reply to: bobvdd

The nesting ribbon tab is visible when making new assemblies, so I imagine you're right with nesting data being tacked on. Got that macro loaded up but will probably just keep the nesting utility disabled until it's fixed/I need it again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report