Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Levels of Detail on Same Drawing Sheet

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AMurphy0813
515 Views, 6 Replies

Multiple Levels of Detail on Same Drawing Sheet

Long story short, someone who is no longer at our company had a method of making drawings that we're trying to get away from. I have to revise a drawing very quickly, though, and don't have time to redo the views he made, some of which are off the edge of the drawing, linking back to views on the visible part. The file size is also huge, so I'm going through and adding levels of detail (LODs) to make it possible for any computer in our department to hopen the file. The problem is, there are two independent views on the same sheet and when I change the level of detail on one, it changes the other. Please note these are NOT dependent or linked to each other in any way. Is this something that can be turned off so I can have multiple LODs of the same assembly on the same drawing sheet?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: AMurphy0813

I hope I am understanding your question.  You can only assign a LOD to a Base View in the drawing.  You can have more than one Base View per drawing so you can have different LOD showing.  Projected Views from each Base View acquire the LOD of their Base View independent of the other Base Views on the drawing.  See the Screencast.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
AMurphy0813
in reply to: jhackney1972

To rephrase this to the terms you're using, I have 2 base views of the same assembly. Let's call the 2 base views "step 1" and "step 2" and the assembly is made up of parts A, B, C, & D. In "step 1", I want to show only parts A & B, so C & D are suppressed ("LOD 1"). In "step 2" I want to show A, B, & C, so just D is suppressed ("LOD 2"). The problem I'm having is if I change the LOD in base view "step 1" to "LOD 1", it will also change the LOD in base view "step 2" to "LOD 1". If I go to base view "step 2" and try to change the LOD back to "LOD 2", the base view "step 1" changes to "LOD 2". I don't know why this is.

Message 4 of 7
swalton

You may have better luck if you use Design View Reps, not LODs to manage object visibility in drawing files.  Use the RMB on a LOD in the model browser to copy that LOD to a design rep.  You can filter Parts Lists by Design rep, but you can't by LOD. 

LODs were useful to reduce the memory demands of large iam files, but they didn't help much with drawing files.  Remember, each LOD shown in a drawing is an additional copy of a portion of the original iam file.  It can add up. 

I'm actually surprised that you have not had issues saving the drawing file when you have views with different LODs shown.  Do you have the source .iam file open at the same time?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 7
jhackney1972

Please post a screencast and your assembly, using Pack and Go to include all parts, so the forum can see and test what is happening.  What you describe should not be an issue.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 6 of 7
AMurphy0813
in reply to: jhackney1972

Due to the proprietary & confidential nature of the assembly, I cannot post it here. And we tried the view route turning visibility off for parts, but it is eating memory like cookie monster at an oreo factory. Which is to say, all of the memory until it is lage, sick and sluggish.

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Any drawing view can reference any assembly LOD independently. Unless the two views have parent-child relationship, changing any view setting in one view should not affect the other.

I will need to see the files to comment further. Please feel free to send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report