Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Circle Closer To Corner Part

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
inventabuild
649 Views, 41 Replies

Moving Circle Closer To Corner Part

I have an iam with a circle attached to a corner part with screw holes in it (1st attachment).  It was derived from an ipt (2nd attachment).

1. What's the best way to move the circle 2 mm closer to the corner part?

2.  How do I make the uom mm instead of inches?  The size of the parts are correct if they were in mm.  As it stands now I need to multiply by 0.03937 (1/25.4) when I export the part for printing.

41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: inventabuild

Hello @inventabuild ,

Not sure which one is the corner part and the the direction when try to move the circle part, could you clarify a bit more.

For the unit setting, you can go to Tools -> Document setting and set the unit as mm.

Untitled.png

Hope it helps! 

Xun
Message 3 of 42
inventabuild
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Hello, please let me know if the attached snippet gives enough information about the circle to move and its direction.

Message 4 of 42
JDMather

There are numerous issues indicated in your history tree ( i in circle ) and an extraordinary amount of extra work.

If I give  you step-by-step instructions, are you willing to follow my steps and learn how to use Inventor (or any CAD software) correctly?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 42
inventabuild
in reply to: JDMather

Hello, yes, please show me the instructions.

Message 6 of 42
JDMather

Before we begin - I must warn that this could take several weeks.

I see that you have been using Inventor for 4.5 years and you will likely have to "unlearn" previously used techniques to then learn my techniques.

It will be a couple of hours till I get out of my current class to post the first step.

Q1. What is the source of the stl file that you started with (designer and software used)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 42
inventabuild

Hello, the original stl came from here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Olive/production_parts/printed_parts/bed_corner_taz6/bed_corner_taz6_v2...

I don't know which software was used, but I'm sure it was some open source program.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 42
johnsonshiue

Hi! You could use Move Bodies command (Modify -> expand it -> Move Bodies) and select all solid and surface bodies to move closer to the origin. The issue is that even after you do that, the sketches will be still located far away.

You should have moved the Composite surface using Move Bodies before you started further modeling.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 42
inventabuild
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I started with an stl, converted it to base and built solids on and around it. I don't understand how I could move the parts separately to the origin.

Message 10 of 42
JDMather

What are you attempting to model?

The assembly that you attached is missing the parts that it references?

Missing Parts.PNG

Message 11 of 42
inventabuild

I uploaded the original part also when I uploaded the assembly.

I copied pasted the parts into the assembly.

Message 12 of 42
JDMather

I don't know what this means?

I can obviously see everything that you have uploaded here.

Where have you uploaded Solid8.ipt?

Where have you uploaded Solid9.ipt?

Where have you uploaded Solid10.ipt?

Do you see these files uploaded in to this thread?

Do you see these files in your project folder (do you have a project folder)?

Have you had any training involving Inventor assembly file structure?

Message 13 of 42
JDMather

Do you have a photograph of something similar to what you are attempting to model?

Can you find a link in the internet to an image of something similar to what you are attempting to model?

Message 14 of 42
inventabuild

Hello JD,

Thanks for your replies.

1. I uploaded the Solid9.ipt and Solid10.ipt in the first post contained in the bed_corner_taz6_v2_modified_for_fsr_9mm_legs.ipt (see first and second attachments of this post for reference).

2. I uploaded a picture (3rd attachment) of what the part looks like, but the part in the picture has the circle too far away and needs to be moved closer as I explained in a previous post.

Message 15 of 42
JDMather

@inventabuild wrote:

Hello JD,

Thanks for your replies.

1. I uploaded the Solid9.ipt and Solid10.ipt in the first post

Nope.

You never uploaded your Solid9.ipt or Solid10.ipt.

That should be obvious.

I don't think I will be able to help from a remote location.

Message 16 of 42
inventabuild

Did you look in my part "bed_corner_taz6_v2_modified_for_fsr_9mm_legs.ipt"  in my first post. That's where solid9 and solid10 came from. I never had separate ipt files for solid9 and solid 10. They came from the "bed_corner_taz6_v2_modified_for_fsr_9mm_legs.ipt" file that I posted on my first post.

Does that help you find the solids 9 and 10?

Message 17 of 42
JDMather

@inventabuild wrote:

1. Did you look in my part "bed_corner_taz6_v2_modified_for_fsr_9mm_legs.ipt"  in my first post.

2. That's where solid9 and solid10 came from.

3. I never had separate ipt files for solid9 and solid 10. 

4. They came from the "bed_corner_taz6_v2_modified_for_fsr_9mm_legs.ipt" file that I posted on my first post.

5. Does that help you find the solids 9 and 10?

1. Of course I did, this isn't my first rodeo.

2. And I know that is where they came from - you did a Manage>Make Components to push out the parts and assembly.

3. Your assembly file that you attached says differently - I already posted image of this fact in Post #10.

4. Yes, they came from that file, but you never attached them here.

5. No, because I don't have access to your computer to find them.

I could push them out again from the multi-body file, but Inventor would toss an error because the assembly points to ipt files that are on your drive.  Again, this isn't my first rodeo.

Message 18 of 42
JDMather

@inventabuild wrote:

2.  How do I make the uom mm instead of inches?  The size of the parts are correct if they were in mm.  As it stands now I need to multiply by 0.03937 (1/25.4) when I export the part for printing.

Let's start back at the very beginning.

Attach your original stl file here and I will create video of how to correctly import the geometry.

Message 19 of 42
inventabuild

Thanks JD, attached is the stl that I started with.

Message 20 of 42
inventabuild

Thanks JD,

Attached are Solid8.ipt, Solid9.ipt and Solid10.ipt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report