Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move sketches to surfaces of solid after after extruding Inventor Pro 2014

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tsokadev
1127 Views, 5 Replies

Move sketches to surfaces of solid after after extruding Inventor Pro 2014

I have a 3D sketch of a rectangular block which was initially 40 mm high. I extended it by 20 mm by extruding 10 mm on the top face and 10 mm on the bottom face. I had sketches on the top and bottom faces of the original block for inserting holes. The sketches are now buried between the faces and the extrusions.

How can I move the sketches to the surface of the extrusion without having to delete and redraw the sketches? I tried copy-paste without success.

The bottom extrusion occurred below the z-axis working plane but I would prefer to move it to the surface of the z plane (i.e. move it upwards by 10 mm in the z-axis). Is there a way to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Inventor Pro 2016
Intel i7700K, NVidia GTX1080Ti-11GB, 64GB RAM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mdavis22569
in reply to: tsokadev

Did you try project geometry of the old sketch to the new face / height?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
hermitch

You should either modify the base-sketch/-extrusion of the part prior to adding the sketches that are now obsolete

or try "Move Face" or "Direct Edit" (will be the same face-index) instead of Extrusion (adding volume and creating new a face-index).

cheers

Message 4 of 6
tsokadev
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 wrote:

Did you try project geometry of the old sketch to the new face / height?

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the extrusions on both the top and bottom faces disappear when I try to edit the sketches, which makes it impossible for me to project the geometry.

Inventor Pro 2016
Message 5 of 6
mdavis22569

Can't turn on the visibility?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
tsokadev
in reply to: hermitch

@hermitch wrote:

You should either modify the base-sketch/-extrusion of the part prior to adding the sketches that are now obsolete

or try "Move Face" or "Direct Edit" (will be the same face-index) instead of Extrusion (adding volume and creating new a face-index).

cheers

Thanks for the hints. I deleted all the sketches and used Move Face to add 10 mm to the top and bottom faces. After that I used Move Bodies and moved the body up by +10 mm in the z-axis. This solved the problem.

Cheers

Inventor Pro 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report