Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Technique Suggestions Flared End Part

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
david.santos.tsgt
1162 Views, 14 Replies

Modeling Technique Suggestions Flared End Part

Hello,

I am an entry level user of Inventor 2018 and I am looking for suggestions on how to model the end section (right side) of the attached concrete structure.

The main body is just a simple loft from circle to rectangle but the flared end is where I am a bit lost. In the ideal world I would like to use the Inventor Dimension to Excel link tool to create multiple components but at this point just modeling the 18"DIA. part will resolve my problem.

I would be thankful for any feedback on a possible approach to model the part.

Thank you,

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: david.santos.tsgt

Hi David, 

Have you had a look at creating the flared end as a loft? You can add curvature to the profile of your loft of which you could use to achieve the radius profile of the flare? 

Google "loft with rails inventor" and you will see what i mean. 

Then when you have your loft profile, cut-out or use shell command for material you need to cut away. 

Callum 

Message 3 of 15

Can you attach the *.ipt file of your attempt?

Message 4 of 15

Thank you for the feedback. In this attempt, I was thinking to subtract the red cylinder and I try the loft suggestion.

Message 5 of 15

You have a pretty good start - but you are going to want to fully constrain everything relative to the Origin Center Point.

Note that in EndRec sketch that it can be dragged anywhere on the screen (and in fact is not centered).

If someone doesn't post an improved example - check back later and I will give it t try.

Message 6 of 15

Hi David,

If I were you, I would use surface modeling technique. I would create a Loft surface and then thicken it as a solid. Please try it and see if it works. If you cannot figure out, please attach your attempt. The forum experts will be able to comment further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 15

@johnsonshiuewrote:

Hi David,

If I were you, I would use surface modeling technique. I would create a Loft surface and then thicken it as a solid. Please try it and see if it works. If you cannot figure out, please attach your attempt. The forum experts will be able to comment further.

Many thanks!

Uhmmm, that is exactly what the OP has already done and provided. I think he (she?)/is ready for the next step In guidance. 

Message 8 of 15
IgorMir

Hi David,

Here is a quick version of the model. Would that be something which might be helpful to you?

Cheers,

Igor.

@david.santos.tsgt wrote:

Hello,

I am an entry level user of Inventor 2018 and I am looking for suggestions on how to model the end section (right side) of the attached concrete structure.

The main body is just a simple loft from circle to rectangle but the flared end is where I am a bit lost. In the ideal world I would like to use the Inventor Dimension to Excel link tool to create multiple components but at this point just modeling the 18"DIA. part will resolve my problem.

I would be thankful for any feedback on a possible approach to model the part.

Thank you,

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 9 of 15
IgorMir

Here it is. A little bit more complicated version of the model. Please see the attached.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 10 of 15

Hi Guys,

Apology for talking cheap! The model is not super hard but it does take a little bit planning to find a good solution. Attached are the two parts based on my understanding of the design intent conveyed in the drawing. Please take a look and let me know if you have any question.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 15

johnsonshiue, thank you very much for the sample model. In your models the LoftSurface step is the part I couldn't figure out.
The first comment from callum3DX6P was correct but I couldn't see it. I would like to thank you all for the great responses and guidance.
Best,

David Santos

Message 12 of 15
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

The model is a bit more intricate than it seams at the first glance. Here is what I can offer. Please see the attached. I was trying to make it as close to what the pdf file did show as possible. But the dimensions are metric. 

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Guys,

Apology for talking cheap! The model is not super hard but it does take a little bit planning to find a good solution. Attached are the two parts based on my understanding of the design intent conveyed in the drawing. Please take a look and let me know if you have any question.

Many thanks!

Message 13 of 15

Hi David,

You are very welcome! The LoftSrf was created from two sets of split edges (outside and inside). Just turn on the visibility of LoftSrf1 and you will see how it was created. After that, I used the Loft Surface to cut the body.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: IgorMir

Hi Igor,

This is an excellent example! The only thing I would do slightly differently is the two Lofts. I will edit the point mapping to ensure they are all evenly distributed. The default mapping can be slightly off sometimes. I do notice that you chopped the body off and then mirrored it back to ensure symmetry.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 15
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks, Johnson.

The idea was to offer some solution to the OP question. I hope - with all the help provided he is finishing his project now. 🙂

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Igor,

This is an excellent example! The only thing I would do slightly differently is the two Lofts. I will edit the point mapping to ensure they are all evenly distributed. The default mapping can be slightly off sometimes. I do notice that you chopped the body off and then mirrored it back to ensure symmetry.

Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report