Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model sketches in iPart drawings

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
CAD_CAM_MAN
1133 Views, 11 Replies

Model sketches in iPart drawings

I cannot figure out how to display a model sketch (3D sketch) in an iPart drawing. The 3D sketch does not appear in the model tree in the drawing file for any iPart member. The 3D sketch I am trying to display in the drawing is shared and is the first feature in the .ipt model tree (under the origin folder).

Is it possible to include model sketches (2D & 3D) in drawings of iParts? Can someone please provide the proper procedure for displaying model sketches in iPart drawings?

We are using Inventor 2015.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: CAD_CAM_MAN

Hi! You will need to go the the browser in the drawing and right-click on the part of interest -> Get Model Sketches. Then the visible 2D/3D sketches in the part will be included in the view. Please let me know if it works for you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 12
CAD_CAM_MAN
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I had already tried this but could not get it to work. When I clicked on "Get Model Sketches" it put a check mark next to it and then disabled the function. Is there something else I need to do with this? 

Message 4 of 12

@CAD_CAM_MAN

As far as I know/remember (and I can be wrong)..  When working with individual children of an iPart on a drawing you are not allowed this function/capability even though that right mouse click option is there.   Even with user defined work planes, axis and etc.  If they are not included under the iPart table they are not carried out into each generated member.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 12
swalton

Did the 3d sketch make it through the derive from the iPart Factory to each iPart Child file? 

If not, you might need to add it to the Factory table or edit the derive in each child ipart file to include the sketch.

If sketch shows up in the child file ipt browser, but not in the drawing browser, there may be some limitation in the drawing environment.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 12
CAD_CAM_MAN
in reply to: swalton

I did not see a way to add the sketch to the table. I only see work geometry in the include tab. Can you explain the procedure on how to include a sketch in the table?

Could you also elaborate on what you mean by "Edit the derive" and how to go about it?

Thank you

Message 7 of 12

@CAD_CAM_MAN

Sorry I should've been more clearer..  Smiley Sad   You don't have the ability to add sketches to the iPart table.  When you look at the individual generated members, the feature that the sketch is related to is under the control of the iPart factory and the actual sketches are not carried over into the generated model.   With work features its the same thing but you do have the ability to select them (those user defined items) to include them in the generated members.

Update:  Edit Derive is not possible in standard iPart members but possible with Custom iParts.  They (the standard ipart members) are under the control of the factory.

Update #1:  But like I said I think its this way/not possible but someone else may correct me. 

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 12
mcgyvr

@CAD_CAM_MAN wrote:

Is it possible to include model sketches (2D & 3D) in drawings of iParts?

Not possible.. 

But what specifically are you trying to do?.. There may be another "workaround" or method to achieve your needs..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 12
CAD_CAM_MAN
in reply to: mcgyvr

The sketch represents the centerline of a bent tube (its a sweep path). I want to display this path on the drawing. I usually work with individual parts but with this particular project I thought an iPart would work well as it has iterations that are built off a base design and I suspect there will be more of these types of projects in my near future. I suppose one work around would be to create a sketch on every drawing but was hoping I could have a simple solution as with an individual part file. If you have ideas for a simple workaround I would appreciate the feedback.

I believe the option should exist to include sketches in iPart members and have submitted an idea to Inventor Ideas.  Please vote up if you agree this functionality should be available...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/allow-2d-and-3d-model-sketches-to-be-included-in-ipart...

Thank you to all that responded to this topic!

Message 10 of 12
mcgyvr

I voted (I'm #1 Smiley Wink ) as I could see it being useful.. 

Depending on how accurate you need it to be you could sweep a small circle along that sketch.. But its really not what you want I'm sure.. 

You just need to apply a "feature" or its not derived into the children at all.. 

iparts have a few "limitations" like that that regular parts don't have..  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry that I did not see "iPart" in the title when making the suggestion. Another human multi-threading errors, my bad! There is indeed a way to make consumable sketch showing up in iPart member file. Here is what you need to do.

1) Open the iPart factory.

2) Find the 3D Sketch of interest.

3) Project the 3D Sketch to a 2D Sketch on a workplane which points to the view direction.

4) This step is weird but it is key to make it work. Go to Manage -> iMate -> pick a line or a point on the 2D sketch -> Ok.

5) Edit the iPart author table and make sure the iMate is set to "Computed" in a given member.

6) Generate members.

You will see the 2D Sketch become available in the member files. When you create a drawing view based on the member file, Get Model Sketch will work.

This is indeed a workaround. It does not work for 3D Sketch without projecting because iMate does not support 3D Sketch. It would be great if this can be done without creating an iMate. Please go to Inventor Ideas and kudo the enhancement idea.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 12
CAD_CAM_MAN
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you johnsonshiue this worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report