Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model disappears after I I derive and scale down the model. The moment I hit OK, the model disappears

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dinagaran27TP3
473 Views, 9 Replies

Model disappears after I I derive and scale down the model. The moment I hit OK, the model disappears

Model disappears after I I derive and scale down the model. The moment I hit OK, the model disappears. How can I fix this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Without the original model and screenshots of the Derive prompt/window it is hard to know why, but make sure the solid/geometry is selected and set to come through in the Derive window (status is not Exclude, and the "Show all objects" box is selected).

Message 3 of 10

Hi Gabriel,

I have attached the actual model ipt. Below are the screenshots for the prompt.

dinagaran27TP3_0-1705601876497.png

dinagaran27TP3_1-1705601891616.png

Message 4 of 10

The content of the IPT is still in mesh format (nothing listed under "solid bodies"), and thus no geometry is translated via Derive.

Download Mesh Enabler (plugin from the Autodesk app store, free):
https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=6950391119076900441&appLang=en&os=Win64

Gabriel_Watson_1-1705602951265.png

Then right-click to convert the mesh feature into solid ("Convert to Base Feature") before the derive:

Gabriel_Watson_0-1705602844827.png

Message 5 of 10

Looks like this method won't work.

Lupe_Stewart_0-1705608946090.png

Message 6 of 10

It doesn't seem too huge, so I'd give it a try and leave it running while you're not working.

Worst case, bring the design into Fusion and see if there you can convert it into a solid model, then bring it back to Inventor.

Message 7 of 10

It took 2 hours to convert but it worked. Thank you!

Message 8 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Lupe_Stewart

@Lupe_Stewart 

Can you Attach the original *.stl file here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 10
Lupe_Stewart
in reply to: JDMather

Please see the attached

Message 10 of 10

Hi! When you open (import) the STL file, click on Options -> select "mm" as unit. Then the mesh will be imported in the right scale.

You may consider importing the STL file to Fusion since it has a dedicated mesh modeling environment, capable of cleaning up the mesh and convert it to a 3D solid body.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report