Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing coincident constraint in sketch

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lmoreschini
1071 Views, 7 Replies

missing coincident constraint in sketch

Many times when I modify a sketch I end up getting an issue which the sketch doctor tells me being "missing constraint", then I go on following the suggestions of the doctor but when it asks if I want to add the missing constraint and I say ok it gives me an error because "adding this constraint will over-constrain the sketch". ?!?!?...I am confused

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jhackney1972
in reply to: lmoreschini

For a standard feature sketch, Inventor could care less if the sketch is fully constrained.  It is just good practice for all feature sketches to be fully constrained.  I do not think this is your issue, you have some other situation.  Please attach your model to your question so others on the forum can better advise you on your "exact" issue.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 8
lmoreschini
in reply to: jhackney1972

well sure, having a sketch not fully constrained is not a problem at all, but it won't let you over-constrain it, that is the issue here. I don't have inventor open now and that sketch is now gone, but I will try tomorrow to reproduce the problem

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you share an example exhibiting the behavior? It does not sound right to me.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
lmoreschini
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Sorry I was offline for a few days. Thank you for helping out with this. I attach an example where the sketch doctor asks me to add some coincident constraints but if I keep going as I am asked to, then it tells me I am over constraining the sketch.

Message 6 of 8
mcgyvr

@lmoreschini wrote:

Sorry I was offline for a few days. Thank you for helping out with this. I attach an example where the sketch doctor asks me to add some coincident constraints but if I keep going as I am asked to, then it tells me I am over constraining the sketch.

@lmoreschini  This forum is having some technical issues and requires that you now "zip" up any Inventor files or it will strip them out.. We don't see your attachment.. Please zip it up and try again.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 8
lmoreschini
in reply to: mcgyvr

yes, I tried over and over to attach a file but it didn't work. I attach it zipped here...

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Luka,

Like I replied in the email, it is about Inventor's ability to recognize sketch profile. For some reason, it cannot be recognized in 2018. If you delete the Extrusion and keep the sketch, you should be able to extrude it without a problem.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report