Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mating a tapered surface to a hole

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
871 Views, 19 Replies

mating a tapered surface to a hole

What's the trick for this? I can get the a tapered pin to mate to the bottom edge of a hole. Example: a tapered spring loaded locating pin in a fixture used to locate a datum hole. I've tried mate, I've tried tangent. Any one have any idea?
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Harry G.
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe this helps?
http://ftp.autodesk.com/WebPub/inventor/training/skill_builder-constraint-assy-cone1.pdf
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

See Harry G. Post first.

If that doesn't work try this.

1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis.
2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts.
3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you have a constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you could drive this constraint and it will stop at the hole.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Select the tapered surface (mate constraint) then roll the mouse wheel until the axis disappears and only the surface is highlighted. Once you get the first surface to select, the mating surface will follow suit (i.e. will not select the axis) This is assuming that both tapered surfaces are the same taper. QBZ "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:4243519f_1@newsprd01... > What's the trick for this? I can get the a tapered pin to mate to the > bottom > edge of a hole. Example: a tapered spring loaded locating pin in a fixture > used to locate a datum hole. I've tried mate, I've tried tangent. Any one > have any idea? > >
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks guys. But I'm talking about a conical surface to the EDGE of a thru hole. Where the conical surface hits the hole's edge. "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:4243519f_1@newsprd01... > What's the trick for this? I can get the a tapered pin to mate to the bottom > edge of a hole. Example: a tapered spring loaded locating pin in a fixture > used to locate a datum hole. I've tried mate, I've tried tangent. Any one > have any idea? > >
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

Here's an AVI "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:4243519f_1@newsprd01... > What's the trick for this? I can get the a tapered pin to mate to the bottom > edge of a hole. Example: a tapered spring loaded locating pin in a fixture > used to locate a datum hole. I've tried mate, I've tried tangent. Any one > have any idea? > >
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Rick, I'm trying mightily to comprehend your instructions, but the thickness of my head is a disadvantage in this situation. Can you elaborate? "orchdes" wrote in message news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > See Harry G. Post first. > > If that doesn't work try this. > > 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. > 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. > 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you have a constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you could drive this constraint and it will stop at the hole.
Message 8 of 20
WalkerRA

I have two (not so elegant) suggestions:

1) Add a sketch to both parts, project the profile of the cone and the profile of the cylinder. In the assy, mate the end point of the cylinder to the line of the cone. See pic.

2) Add a small fillet (.001") to the hole and use a tan constraint. (Or add a small parallel chamfer and use mate).

-Russ
Message was edited by: Russ Walker
Message 9 of 20
mattman

place a transitional consraint between both surfaces then place a mate one the axis of both the hole/ cone
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

John,

Here is a AVI.

In the avi a dragged the taper bushing. If you want you could place a flush constraint and activate contact solver and drive the flush constraint past the hole. The taper should stop when it contacts the hole.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

DOH!

Sorry John. You know how some things are right in front of you and you can't see them?

Did not pay attention to IV8SP1 in your user name. I believe contact solver was not part of 8 now that I think of it.
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

The contact solver is available in IV8 "orchdes" wrote in message news:29304519.1111755564792.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > DOH! > > Sorry John. You know how some things are right in front of you and you > can't see them? > > Did not pay attention to IV8SP1 in your user name. I believe contact > solver was not part of 8 now that I think of it.
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Check that the contact solver is activated. In the 'Tools' menu, make sure the 'Activate contact solver' has a tick (check mark to you yanks) next to it. Derek "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:4243686f$1_1@newsprd01... > Rick, I'm trying mightily to comprehend your instructions, but the > thickness > of my head is a disadvantage in this situation. Can you elaborate? > > "orchdes" wrote in message > news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> See Harry G. Post first. >> >> If that doesn't work try this. >> >> 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. >> 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. >> 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent > point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you have a > constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you could drive > this constraint and it will stop at the hole. > >
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks all for the help. Happy and blessed Easter. "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:4243519f_1@newsprd01... > What's the trick for this? I can get the a tapered pin to mate to the bottom > edge of a hole. Example: a tapered spring loaded locating pin in a fixture > used to locate a datum hole. I've tried mate, I've tried tangent. Any one > have any idea? > >
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Another method is: 1.use the Split tool to create a split line around the circumference of the tapered part -use a workplane (normal to the axis of the part) as the split tool 2.set an Insert constraint between the split line and the hole edge. "orchdes" wrote in message news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > See Harry G. Post first. > > If that doesn't work try this. > > 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. > 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. > 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent > point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you have a > constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you could drive > this constraint and it will stop at the hole.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

I do something SORT OF similar for my RFS datum pins (Tapered spring loaded). Only what I do is start with a circle at the nominal size of hole on one of the origin workplanes, then extrude it with a taper amount in both directions. Getting the direction of the main pin body to end up at a STANDARD size was a bit tricky though. I now have a standard template part I use for these pins, and all I need do is edit the parameters for the contact diameter and the pin diameter (which I usually make the next largest standard diameter larger than the nominal hole size). Now all I have to do is use 2 mates, one to the pin axis, the other to the origin workplane and the hole face. "Nick Hasselblad (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:42446461$1_2@newsprd01... > Another method is: > 1.use the Split tool to create a split line around the circumference of the tapered part > -use a workplane (normal to the axis of the part) as the split tool > 2.set an Insert constraint between the split line and the hole edge. > > "orchdes" wrote in message news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> See Harry G. Post first. >> >> If that doesn't work try this. >> >> 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. >> 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. >> 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you >> have a constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you could drive this constraint and it will stop at the hole. > >
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Any chance I could talk ya into sharing that template file? "Bob S." wrote in message news:424467c5_2@newsprd01... > I do something SORT OF similar for my RFS datum pins (Tapered spring loaded). > Only what I do is start with a circle at the nominal size of hole on one of the origin > workplanes, then extrude it with a taper amount in both directions. Getting the direction > of the main pin body to end up at a STANDARD size was a bit tricky though. > I now have a standard template part I use for these pins, and all I need do is > edit the parameters for the contact diameter and the pin diameter (which I usually > make the next largest standard diameter larger than the nominal hole size). > > Now all I have to do is use 2 mates, one to the pin axis, the other to the origin > workplane and the hole face. > > "Nick Hasselblad (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:42446461$1_2@newsprd01... > > Another method is: > > 1.use the Split tool to create a split line around the circumference of the tapered part > > -use a workplane (normal to the axis of the part) as the split tool > > 2.set an Insert constraint between the split line and the hole edge. > > > > "orchdes" wrote in message news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >> See Harry G. Post first. > >> > >> If that doesn't work try this. > >> > >> 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. > >> 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. > >> 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you > >> have a constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you could drive this constraint and it will stop at the hole. > > > > > >
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Oh, you are still on IV8? I think I still have a IV8 version, and they will probably be OK. I had to dig them out of my archived IV8Library files. I've included a 4-way, 2-way and oblong 4-way. All you should have to do after inserting them is go into their Parameters dialog and scroll all the way down to the User Params, change "Contact_Diameter" and"Body_Diameter", then update. Note that there are some limits involved in the difference between these 2 params, especially the larger the difference is. You MAY have problems if you want to change the taper amount, hard to say. They are currently 15 degree tapers per side (30 included). Bob S. "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:42446d26_3@newsprd01... > Any chance I could talk ya into sharing that template file? > > "Bob S." wrote in message > news:424467c5_2@newsprd01... >> I do something SORT OF similar for my RFS datum pins (Tapered spring > loaded). >> Only what I do is start with a circle at the nominal size of hole on one > of the origin >> workplanes, then extrude it with a taper amount in both directions. > Getting the direction >> of the main pin body to end up at a STANDARD size was a bit tricky though. >> I now have a standard template part I use for these pins, and all I need > do is >> edit the parameters for the contact diameter and the pin diameter (which I > usually >> make the next largest standard diameter larger than the nominal hole > size). >> >> Now all I have to do is use 2 mates, one to the pin axis, the other to the > origin >> workplane and the hole face. >> >> "Nick Hasselblad (Autodesk)" wrote in > message news:42446461$1_2@newsprd01... >> > Another method is: >> > 1.use the Split tool to create a split line around the circumference of > the tapered part >> > -use a workplane (normal to the axis of the part) as the split tool >> > 2.set an Insert constraint between the split line and the hole edge. >> > >> > "orchdes" wrote in message > news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> >> See Harry G. Post first. >> >> >> >> If that doesn't work try this. >> >> >> >> 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. >> >> 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. >> >> 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent > point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you >> >> have a constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you > could drive this constraint and it will stop at the hole. >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks Bob. I'll check 'em out. "Bob S." wrote in message news:424471cd_3@newsprd01... > Oh, you are still on IV8? I think I still have a IV8 version, and they will > probably be OK. I had to dig them out of my archived IV8Library > files. I've included a 4-way, 2-way and oblong 4-way. All you should > have to do after inserting them is go into their Parameters dialog and > scroll all the way down to the User Params, change "Contact_Diameter" > and"Body_Diameter", then update. Note that there are some limits > involved in the difference between these 2 params, especially the larger > the difference is. You MAY have problems if you want to change the taper > amount, hard to say. They are currently 15 degree tapers per side > (30 included). > > Bob S. > > > "John-IV8SP1" wrote in message news:42446d26_3@newsprd01... > > Any chance I could talk ya into sharing that template file? > > > > "Bob S." wrote in message > > news:424467c5_2@newsprd01... > >> I do something SORT OF similar for my RFS datum pins (Tapered spring > > loaded). > >> Only what I do is start with a circle at the nominal size of hole on one > > of the origin > >> workplanes, then extrude it with a taper amount in both directions. > > Getting the direction > >> of the main pin body to end up at a STANDARD size was a bit tricky though. > >> I now have a standard template part I use for these pins, and all I need > > do is > >> edit the parameters for the contact diameter and the pin diameter (which I > > usually > >> make the next largest standard diameter larger than the nominal hole > > size). > >> > >> Now all I have to do is use 2 mates, one to the pin axis, the other to the > > origin > >> workplane and the hole face. > >> > >> "Nick Hasselblad (Autodesk)" wrote in > > message news:42446461$1_2@newsprd01... > >> > Another method is: > >> > 1.use the Split tool to create a split line around the circumference of > > the tapered part > >> > -use a workplane (normal to the axis of the part) as the split tool > >> > 2.set an Insert constraint between the split line and the hole edge. > >> > > >> > "orchdes" wrote in message > > news:8882146.1111711141934.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >> >> See Harry G. Post first. > >> >> > >> >> If that doesn't work try this. > >> >> > >> >> 1.) Place mate constrain between pin axis and hole axis. > >> >> 2.) Activate Contact Solver on these 2 parts. > >> >> 3.) Drag the tapered pin into the hole. It should stop at the tangent > > point of contact. Then constrain with predict on. Or if you > >> >> have a constraint located in the direction you would drag the pin you > > could drive this constraint and it will stop at the hole. > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > > > > > > >
Message 20 of 20
donb

Thanks, Nick.

I just used your split line method to seat a convex lens against the edge of a c'bore in a housing. Same problem, really. And it works just fine.

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report