Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook Pro in general for Inventor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
szeles1996
3610 Views, 8 Replies

MacBook Pro in general for Inventor

I know that there are plenty of topics concerning this isssue..

I use(d) an Asus laptop (core i5, 8gb ram, Nvidia Gerofrce 850 m  24GB/1T sshd) yesterday and the day before, i booted up very slowly.. it took an hour to boot, than i crashed immediatly.. i mean the PC .. not Invetor . just after it booted up, Luckily i feelt that there will be a porblem so i "packed n go". Today it wont turn on , it runs inio errors,, disck repair.. i the Troublehsoot menu does not even works... 

i had my motherboard and Hdd replaced half a year ago ,, it was a faulty one (back than it was 4 months old) and now its down again ... 

my Quesion is .. 

does the Macbook has any greater (hiher quality) parts ?? (i have heard that they do) i cant live without it ..  now .. it will take a moth or a few weeks to have Asus repair my lapotp, , i just dont know what to do (no replacemnt laptop till in service) ... 

i fell like i cant trust that PC anymore... 

how does the Macbooks preform? with Paralesll or Bootcamp?

i really dont have the moneyy to buy a Macbook Pro.. but if the quallity is superiro ,, than i will make it ... i mean,, i could have lost weeks of work .. 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CCarreiras
in reply to: szeles1996

Hi!

In my humble opinion:

The mac book is more for architectural and multimedia stuff, the pc is more used in industry.

But i's only a question of taste: any good pc has the same perfomance and quality as a macbook.

In my opinion, you get bad luck with your pc, maybe you know other people that have the same pc and works very well... it's like sometimes we can have bad luck with a car or someting like that. Sht happens sometimes.

If i was you, i had repaired the pc, sell it in ebay and bought another one with that money.

If you want a thrust reliable pc, check the worksations lines, you can search in hp, dell, lenovo, etc, for their workstations (professional ). A workstaions will not be quickly as an gamer pc, but will be for certain reliable to work... and more expensive, but maybe not like a macbook.

Check it (as an example):

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/overview.html

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
szeles1996
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah i know people with the same computer, they are having their fair share of issues as well (of course not so serius , totally acceptable)

i have never thought of a Workstation. i mean like it is a totally different category. Will have a look at them! Thank you, you might just have saved my life from now on.

Thanks!

(As for the Macbook, also thanks your informative reply... the reason why i was thinking of buying one.,, is the fact that i may have a realtion ship with it.. because they look astonishing.. while i have never ever reallly íike the one that im using right now, just the perfromance of it ... and i have a small cheap windows tablet. which i like a lot .. i have never ever babied it..i tos it into my bagpack .. it commutes with me.. like 4 hours on a daily basis.. - back to the original isssue  i have always taken good care of my main laptop.. thats why i was suprised....i will definitly have a loook at the recomndedproducts .. Thanks a lot!!)

Message 4 of 9
blair

You will need to run either Boot Camp (free from Apple) or Parallels on which you will still need to purchase and install your Windows O/S. Boot Camp will provide a better environment in which to install Windows and Inventor. It sets a partition on the "hard-drive" for Windows to be installed on. You will need to re-boot your machine for either the Mac environment or the Windows environment. The O/S will have full access of all the hardware/system resources.

In Parallels, it's a virtual operating system which Windows gets installed in. You don't get full access to all system resources as you still need to hold back some system hardware resources for the Mac environment while you are using Windows. It is great if you primarily live in the Mac environment as Windows is running inside an application window on your desktop.

I use Boot Camp on my Mac Pro on my home office machine while I use Parallels on my Mac Book Pro.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9
szeles1996
in reply to: blair

And how is the performacen inside Parallels? 

i mean i hate Windows .. so i would prefer to use MacOs .. but .. since you are using bootcamp on your macpro it made me wonder whether Parallels is any good.. ? 

May i ask you whether your Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics card? Or "just" the iintel ones? and how does it preform?

i have never wokred with on a serious computer without dedicated graphics card..  

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
blair

It's good, considering the CPU speed of the MacBook Pro's aren't what a desk-top machine is. Inventor is CPU clock speed related. The faster your clock speed, the better it performs.

You will still need to install Windows within Parallels though.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 9
dtkavapalu

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to share your work set-up. I have always been a Mac user, recently started working with Inventor at work and now have to use PC. Although I am comfortable with Windows, I would rather work on Mac and still use Inventor, Boot Camp being the solution. My question or concern is with the Boot Camp set-up; do you run into any problems with crashing, or freezing? How often do you find yourself switching back-and-forth between operating systems? I might have more questions but would definitely like to start there.

Thank you for your help.

DK

Message 8 of 9
blair
in reply to: dtkavapalu

Boot Camp is the preferred way as it's a "true" Windows environment in that sense. My home "Mac Pro"  machine spends most of it's time in the Windows mode while my laptop spends its time in OS. The only time it returns to OS is about once a week for any software updates and then to back up for Time Machine after any software updates and any cloud drive folder synchronization.

I can't recall any freezes with the Mac Pro or for that matter with my Mac Book Pro. The Mac Book Pro spends all it's time in OS and has Parallels 12 in there new sleep/background mode.

I try to get the machine to always switch to the "other" O/S at least once a week just to have any "Cloud" folders sync and any software update. I use Adobe Create Cloud which is always pushing updates to their products so I like to keep all O/S versions up to date.

I make use of iCloud, OneDrive and Adobes CreativeCloud, so I'm always switching O/S's.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 9
dtkavapalu

Thank you for your feedback. I have been using Mac for so long and have recently started using Inventor. I bought an HP Z Book and problems with it and decided to return it. With the new MacBook Pro on the market, I am very tempted to use that and Boot Camp - which your feedback has given me confidence in doing so. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report