Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lineweights are thick when exporting to .PDF

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SteveFrey
2823 Views, 7 Replies

Lineweights are thick when exporting to .PDF

How can I export an .IDW to a .PDF while keeping the lineweights very thin?  I've tried exporting to PDF, printing to PDF, exporting to .DWG then exporting to PDF, etc. but nothing seems to get the lines as thin as I'd like them to be.  I have both Adobe Acrobat DC and BlueBeam Review Extreme. Bluebeam seems to do a better job at creating the PDF because there's more control over what it spits out but I can't figure out which way I should be approaching this.  If I turn off the shaded view in my .IDW I get a better quality output because the shading pixelates.  Is there a third party app that will correct this?  Anyone else have this problem?  There's got to be a workaround for this.  Thanks!

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jacob_Butler
in reply to: SteveFrey

Try removing line weight option when you go to export. You can also edit styles, see: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

remove_lw.png

in reply to: Jacob_Butler

I tried that.  It helps but the lines are still too thick.  They are set to .001 in the styles manager.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

In Adobe pdf viewer press ctrl + 5

Also located at view...Show/Hide...Rulers/Grid...lineweights

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 8
SteveFrey
in reply to: mcgyvr

This will allow the end user to adjust the lineweights if they know about this shortcut.  I'm trying to present a document to them that is ready to view by anyone. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 6 of 8
mcgyvr

@SteveFrey wrote:

This will allow the end user to adjust the lineweights if they know about this shortcut.  I'm trying to present a document to them that is ready to view by anyone. 

Talk to adobe.... Its their software.. their function.. Nothing you can do about it..

wait till you try 3d PDF and find out that Adobe by default blocks 3d content and one must enable it (if they know how)..

Thats my biggest pet peeve about 3d PDFs now.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 8
SteveFrey
in reply to: mcgyvr

I dread talking to Adobe. I have Adobe Acrobat by our company default but it's terrible.  Bluebeam is so much better and less than half the cost.  I'm more trying to determine if I should be hitting the PRINT button in Inventor or the EXPORT to pdf.  I think if I figure that part out first then I might be on the right track.  Thanks.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr

@SteveFrey wrote:

I dread talking to Adobe. I have Adobe Acrobat by our company default but it's terrible.  Bluebeam is so much better and less than half the cost.  I'm more trying to determine if I should be hitting the PRINT button in Inventor or the EXPORT to pdf.  I think if I figure that part out first then I might be on the right track.  Thanks.

I agree... Bluebeam is much better (and cheaper I believe) we started using it here too..

I just bought the new Adobe PRO DC yesterday just to work with 3d PDF templates in Inventor.. I hated having to do that.. But such is life..

OH and I always use print and pick the adobe pdf printer.. I've seen too many issues here that relate to Inventors built in PDF functionality (export) causing problems..

Only nice thing is that you can get layers via Inventor and I haven't tried/seen a way to do that via printing to adobe pdf.. But if you don't need layers (I never do) then print is better IMO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report