Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jogging/staggering an internal radius dimension to take it clear of the view

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
c.richardson
532 Views, 6 Replies

Jogging/staggering an internal radius dimension to take it clear of the view

Hi guys

I'm wanting to jog/stagger an internal bend radius dimension in order for the dim text position and leader to not have to go across the view to be clear of it - apologies to the grammar police for the bad grammar! (see attached view) I have selected Dimension, selected the feature and then right-clicked on the mouse to select Options and then Jogged but sadly it has not generated the desired leader form. I realise that 'Jogged' might have more of a reference to dimensioning a very large radius whereby the centre of said radius is off the page. Is there a way to achieve what I'm after as l am using Leader Text to create it at the moment which obviously will not update if the radius value changes? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers.

Radius dim jogging.PNG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: c.richardson

Please embed images into your posts instead of attaching them...

You can use Leader Text and keep association, you just have to know which parameter in the model is the one you want (BendRadius, for example).

Leader Text with ParameterLeader Text with Parameter

You didn't mention which version you're using, but this functionality has been available for many versions.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.3
Windows 7 SP1

Message 3 of 7
c.richardson
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for this SBix26. Apologies for not 'embedding' the image; l just attached it using the 'CHOOSE FILE' option in 'Attachments' below. So as to do it correctly next time, how does one 'embed' an image? I noticed on your parameter for the bend rad dimension you had 'd2' in front of the bracketed dimension: My dim didn't have such a prefix so do l select the 'Add Parameter' icon to the RHS of the lower 'Precision' box in order for the dim value parameter to be inserted in as text? 

Message 4 of 7
c.richardson

I am using Inventor 2017 Professional btw

Message 5 of 7
SBix26

You embed images by clicking the Photos icon in the editor toolbar, then choose file, add caption if desired, done.

d2 is simply the name of the parameter in my example.  In the case of sheet metal parts, BendRadius would be a parameter in your list.  If for some reason the dimension you're looking for isn't actually a parameter in the part, then just create a User parameter with the equation to calculate it.  For example, if you want to dimension the outside radius of a sheet metal bend, you could create a user parameter equal to BendRadius + Thickness.

By the way, I'm all in favor of being able to add vertices to dimensions such as radii, hole notes, etc.— what I've showed here is just a workaround.  If I can find the Ideas forum post I'm sure exists, I'll add a link here to garner more votes.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2.3
Windows 7 SP1

Message 6 of 7
SBix26
Message 7 of 7
c.richardson
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks again, Sam 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report