Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item list as sketch symbol for weldments.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
craig_k_potter
172 Views, 3 Replies

Item list as sketch symbol for weldments.

Hi all.

We use a standard parts list for weldments which lists the material used i.e. 75 x 75 x 6 ea x 500 lg. It also has a header with item no, quantities, standards for material used, etc.

I would like to have this in Inventor as a sketch symbol and access parts list BOM data, if possible using baloons. Is there a rule available or some other method to configure such an item? Total mass at the bottom would be a nice to have as well.

ashleyburton_0-1655335114313.png

thomas.armstrong@alcoa.com

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I think you can set it up as a sketch symbol first, then use it as balloon if that works for you. See the Styles definition for balloons and make a new one with that custom sketch symbol,
Message 3 of 4

Hi Thomas and Gabriel,

Unfortunately, the item number is an assembly-level property (instance based), not like other document-based properties. It is exclusively available in PartsList and Balloons only, not in text or sketch symbol or other annotation objects.

The only solution that I can think of is to write an iLogic rule and push the item number of the given component as a custom property in the component or as an instance property within the hosting assembly. This should work but it can be messy to manage, since the item numbers can change due to various reasons. The rule will need to be run constantly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4

Thank you, I've been playing with it along those lines. I'll let you know how it pans out. It is looking like quite the challenge.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report