Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a faster way to do a half section through the centre of a cylinder?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
colin.ngNB7PC
709 Views, 6 Replies

Is there a faster way to do a half section through the centre of a cylinder?

Hi all, 

I find myself frequently wanting to see how things are mated through the centre of a cylinder. Right now, how I'd do it would be to measure the distance from a flat surface to the centre of the cylinder, then half section and type in that number. I've attached a screenshot where I show what I mean. I'd measure that distance, then section from starting from the flat surface and section it by 90mm (the x distance was the distance in the direction I wanted).

I know it's not difficult to do it the way I'm currently doing it, but I'd like to think that the guys at autodesk would have come up with an easier way for a workflow that's performed by thousands of people, probably multiple times a day. 

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: colin.ngNB7PC

Isn’t there an Origin plane in that location?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
colin.ngNB7PC
in reply to: JDMather

Ah I just noticed that the example I used in this case has an origin plane there, but in some cases it doesn't and my original question still holds. Thanks for pointing that out!

Message 4 of 7

Create an additional workplane in the middle of the cylinder (if there is not an origin plane).

And if you often switch between the Half view and the full view, create as much view representations as you need. Then a simple click let you see what you want.

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: colin.ngNB7PC

Whenever I model anything, I make use of whatever existing symmetry there is in the geometry and place this symmetry about the Origin.  Thai also pays huge dividends in assembly as the Origin planes can be used for assembly constraints rather than part geometry.  Use the BORN Technique as much as possible and practical. 
This is so ingrained in my modeling techniques that I can only wonder why this wasn’t seen as obvious.  I would almost always be doing a Section via an Origin Plane.

The only other sections I would typically do is indeterminate dragging for inspection, not a precise location section.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: JDMather

Full agreement @JDMather . But if I want some half section views e.g. perpendicular to the main axis of the assembly - e.g. at 1 AND another at 2 AND another at 3 (see attached image) - THEN I'd use additional work planes as suggested above.

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

here the image missing above. (post #6).

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report