Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iProperty view causes save in parts/assemblies

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JohnKHouston
302 Views, 7 Replies

iProperty view causes save in parts/assemblies

Hi all,

I'm using IV 2022 and I've had a problem since installing the new version. I also have the update patch installed.

The problem I'm having is when I access the iProperty of a part or assembly. Doing so causes the part/assembly to be modified (asterisk shows up on the Vault tab) and I cannot close the file without checking the part out, saving it, and then checking it back in.

I've tried to mess around with the new Save States but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Can someone please tell me what I need to fix so that I don't have to constantly be checking out parts just because I opened the iProperty dialog box?

Thanks in advance,

John

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: JohnKHouston

Can you very specifically describe the exact steps/conditions that go into attempting to replicate this issue?

How are you accessing the iproperties? From Where? Which iproperties?

Even better is posting a "screencast" showing the issue happening..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi John,

If you only look at the iProperty, it should not dirty the document. However, if you check the mass property, or there is an iLogic rule running behind the scene trying to link iProperties, the files will be dirtied.

Please share an example that exhibits the behavior. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
JohnKHouston
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It's my thought that the issue has to do with the new Save State that was added. I tried to turn off the prompts to save because it was a pain in the ass to constantly being prompted to save various states. That wasn't working so I turned on all the prompts, but I still am having problems with saving and checking in assemblies.

For what it's worth, our parts and assemblies are not migrated and there is no intention to migrate all the parts until they are needed. I think one of the issues is that 2022 wants to migrate the parts and assemblies, and it seems like it won't let me turn off that feature/bug.

It's now to the point where I can't check in an assembly that has all of the sub-assemblies and parts in a released state. I keep getting the message that I have parts that need saving but couldn't be saved. Presumably there are 'dirty' parts assemblies in the assembly I'm working on. Good thing Autodesk doesn't tell you which files are saved, because that would be too easy, right?

As an experiment I turned on all prompts and saved the top level assembly, selected yes to save all, and waited 10 minutes for the assembly to save (over 1100 separate parts). I had only worked on the top level assembly, none of the sub or parts, and I still could not check in the assembly because some documents have been modified but not saved. Pretty hard to express how frustrating this process has been.

So now I have to manually go thru the Vault tab and look thru the tree and find parts that are dirty, change their state even tho' there should be no reason to, save them, and then try again to check in the assembly that I've been trying to check in for 1/2 hour...

Not an ideal process, if you ask me.

Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi John,

I guess this could be related to Model States. Try this and see if it helps. Set "Prompt to Save" to No for "Migration", "Mass Property Update" and "Implicit Update." Keep the rest to Yes.

I personally believe, it is better to keep files up-to-date. Unless everything is wrapped within a file, having to update and save other files is inevitable. But, each prompt to save should be reasonable and understandable. If there is any unreasonable behavior, please share the files. I can take a look to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
JohnKHouston
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson, I'll try that and see how it works.

Message 7 of 8
CGBenner

@JohnKHouston  Did the information provided by @johnsonshiue  answer your question? If so, please use Accept Solution so that others may find this in the future. Thank you very much!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 8 of 8
JohnKHouston
in reply to: CGBenner

The problem still persists, Johnson was able to provide a limited work around.

Parts still want to be saved if I open them to view, that hasn't changed. At first I thought it was because I was viewing iProperties but it seems to be if the file is opened. Probably because it's not migrated, but that's only a guess.

I cannot close the file unless it is saved. If it is a released file then I can save it with no effect (for the most part) but if it is not released, then it presents a problem because I don't want to check out the file unnecessarily.

I have no idea how to fix this problem, I've tried to modify various Save States but that doesn't seem to have any bearing on the problem. It would be nice to get it resolved as it's frustrating and time consuming to try and close files without saving them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report