Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPN Workflow slowdowns

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cadadmin
226 Views, 2 Replies

IPN Workflow slowdowns

Hello,

We are now experiencing issues with IPN's having skipped Inventor 2017 moving from 2016 to 2018 that perhaps many of you have already addressed. For our purposes the IPN creation has become a much slower task, both upon creating and when updating IPN's. Some of this is due to the way legacy IPN's are migrated. Some of it is completely in the area of insufficient UI implementation and design in order to keep (make) things efficient. While there are some changes that are nice additions to IPN's and we most certainly can find new ways to accomplish what we were doing, it has decreased efficiency significantly.

For example. I have an IPN that has 40 scenes. Each having at least a single snapshot. I place some new components to the assembly and in 2016 I the IPN would update - the great thing about having parametric 3D modeling. However, in 2018 users must now click each scene, move the mouse to the snapshot and click a small icon to force an update of each and every snapshot created in the entire IPN. Each one. A Small icon, did I mention it is on every single snapshot... Smiley Happy        updatescreen.JPG

I am just curious, did anyone perhaps suggest an Update all?    updatescreenupdateall.jpg

My first thought was, why not have it auto update as one would expect, and provide an option for those users wishing to have it static? This would seem a logical choice in a parametric based modeling program.

Regards,

Tom

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rachel_li
in reply to: cadadmin

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your feedback. Currently Update All is not supported but it is in our backlog. Would you mind submitting an idea on the Idea forum to help us prioritize the requests?

Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Li
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: cadadmin

Hi Tom

Welcome to the hell that is the new 'paradigm' for Inventor users. The IPN environment was updated in 2017 to cater more for those wishing to create animations of their model assemblies. This update conveniently forgot about the users who wanted to create drawings with exploded views and who had no interest in animating the sequences.

As a result the UI in the IPN environment makes it much harder to create multi-step exploded diagrams and you are forced to either fiddle around with a storyboard timeline, or create and constantly check/update snapshot views.

On top of all that there were massive issues with migrating legacy IPNs which caused us all kinds of problems and wasted days of our time.

Doesn't matter though, because apparently Autodesk just don't give a ****. The problem is bad enough that we are seriously considering moving away from Inventor and using something else, dispite the serious aggro that in itself would cause.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report