Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventr files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tib02000
449 Views, 6 Replies

inventr files

hello

i have inventor 2016 student version.

I you install inventor you can choose where to install it. Nomather what you pick it will always install stuff on the windows drive.

Because i only have a 120 gb ssd as windows drive it is full and inventor shouldn't be on there. 

IS there a way to not have any files on my windows drive?

Tibo

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mdavis22569
in reply to: tib02000

I have Inventor (program only) on my local C:/ drive...

Then I have projects set up like this:

2018 on my E Drive

2017 and 2016 on  my F drive.

I keep all of the files for that version on that drive.

I moved my C:\Autodesk install folder to my Paassport X drive to I have it for updates but it's not on my hard drive (that's 10-12 gigs saved )

Then I keep my %temp% folder cleaned out 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
tib02000
in reply to: mdavis22569

so i can simply move the C:\Autodesk folder to a different drive?

Message 4 of 7
mdavis22569

Yes 

I have mine like this:

s2.PNGs3.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
tib02000
in reply to: mdavis22569

this worked thanks so much i saved me 7 gb.

but can i do the same with C:\Program Files\Autodesk ?

because that would be another 3 gb

Message 6 of 7
mdavis22569

NOOOO!!!!!! 

but you can move the downloads over there ....

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

@tib02000

You need to understand Windows and how programs are installed.   Meaning you just can't start moving stuff located in Program Files and other important locations or you are going to create a mess and unusable computer.

Another thing..

Check out what @TravisNave has to say about limited disk space when installing Autodesk products.

"Please understand that some parts of the installation files are necessary to be installed on the root system drive. Shortcuts, registry settings, and profile customization are all examples of this. However, you may be able to make some system changes that will allow you to install your Autodesk product and avoid this error. Some of these including moving the location of your temp directories and other space saving measures.

Please review Travis' KB article for more information

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report