Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor won't display the first digit of drawing dimensions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
IsaacBlanc
1127 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor won't display the first digit of drawing dimensions

So I had modeled a sheet metal part in Inventor. I had used custom parameters for a few key dimensions. One of these parameter-defined dimensions was the diameter of pop-rivet that I would use to hold the part together (3mm). I used this parameter to define the diameter of several holes in the design.

I then set about making a drawing of the 2D net. I had nearly finished when I remembered that I would actually be using 3.2mm diameter rivets. I saved and closed the drawing file. Opened the part file. I went to Manage>Parameters>User parameters and changed my parameter for rivet diameter to 3.2mm instead of 3mm. I clicked 'Done' in the parameters window and saved and closed the part file.

When I reopened the drawing file, the shape of the 2D net looked just as it had before I'd changed the parameter, except nearly all of the dimensions had changed to zero. In the cases where dimensions hadn't been turned to zero, their first digit wouldn't be displayed. For instance, 5.56mm would have been changed to .56mm (note how this is not simply dividing the dimension by 10). I tried changing the parameter in the part file back to 3mm like it was before, but it seems the damage had already been done because this didn't fix the drawing.

Whole.JPGDetail.JPG

Here are a few things that I've noticed:

If I double-click on a dimension, the 'Edit Dimension' window seems to know the value of that dimension, even though on the drawing it just displays 0.

Strange1.JPG

If I open the part file and go to Inspect>Measure and select the diameter of a hole that is defined by my parameter, the measure tool says that the diameter is 3.200mm, which is correct, except that it also says (in blue) that the diameter is .200mm. It's like Inventor is refusing to display the first digit of a dimension.

Inspect.JPG

Something very strange is happening with this textbox. Look at what it's meant to say (on the right) vs how it looks in the drawing (left).

S2.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: IsaacBlanc

Have you installed Update 2018.2.2?

Hmmm, I only see 2018.2 listed for download today, not 2.2 

Can you reproduce this issue with a new part/drawing?

Can you attach the part and drawing files here that exhibit this issue?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Issac,

The behavior does not look right to me. Do you have any non-Autodesk add-in running? Could you share the files here or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
IsaacBlanc
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello both and thank you for your replies.

I restarted Inventor and the drawing file seems fixed. I feel very stupid for not trying that earlier! Sorry for wasting your time.

In answer to your questions...

version.jpg

And Johnson, I could send you the files, except that the glitch seems to have passed and the dimensions have returned to normal. And no, I was not running any add-in

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

You should go to http://manage.autodesk.com and install Update 2

Update 2.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Issac,

Many thanks for providing the update! Something is still wrong though. It could be graphics related. I have never seen or heard this behavior before. If you manage to reproduce it next time, please let us know asap.

Yes, like JD mentioned, please install 2018.2 Update immediately. 2018.2.3 will be available very soon.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report