Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Studio background image

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
NigelHay
1066 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Studio background image

In Inventor studio I would like to create a new studio lighting style by copying an existing style (Photo Booth) but with a different background image. We have specific corporate images to be used in datasheets etc. Can I import an image to use instead of the one that comes with the existing lighting style?

I'm pretty new to using Studio, I've only done a few renders with default settings.

Inv. 2022 Pro.

Win. 10 Pro 64 bit.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SharkDesign
in reply to: NigelHay

I think you need an IBL environment too do it properly. 

You can render and imagine as PNG with a transparent background and then just place this over your corporate background with an image editor?

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 6
NigelHay
in reply to: SharkDesign

James, thanks for replying. Yes, I think that would work. What I've found whilst playing with this is that, back in the Inventor environment, in 'Tools - Application Options - Colours', I can choose a background image & that image is retained when rendering in Studio. I've copied one of the corporate JPEGs into the backgrounds folder & made a quick render to check that this works.

Message 4 of 6
SharkDesign

If you render in the inventor environment using rest tracing, you cannot do a transparent background.

It has to be in the studio environment.

You have to choose PNG or one other format I think and in the options on the save dialogue choose either transparent or use alpha channel, can't remember what it says. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 6
Bill_Bogan2

You're on the right track. If you choose to go with the App Ops > Color > Background image for the backdrop method... I suggest...

• Use Perspective for the View Display mode
  • Orient the model with respect to the image horizon lines and view lines.
  • Pick a lighting style that matches (as close as possible) the image lighting.
  • In the Style editor, for the lighting style you chose, on the Shadows tab, in the dropdown, select the Environment option.
  • Then, on the Environment tab, rotate the environment so shadows match your image. 
  • Try some draft renders and tweak as needed. It won't be perfect but it might be close enough.

Here's one I quickly whipped up with an online image I found. Obviously the image resolution isn't what I want, but you get the idea... it can be done. This is straight outta Inventor, no post processing.

TestRender.png

Bill Bogan
Principal Content Experience Designer
CXD
PDMS-DiD-Digital Manufacturing
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 6
NigelHay
in reply to: Bill_Bogan2

I'm still rendering in the Studio environment. The company I work for was bought out at the end of last year so we are now part of a group which has a corporate identity. As part of that, the marketing geniuses have come up with a set of background images to keep a uniform look across product datasheets, presentations, etc. The images are all a bit abstract & arty, not to my taste at all. We have to align with the way the other group companies show the products so not much scope for doing it differently. Probably best not to let me choose anyway, we'd likely end up with Godzilla holding a product in her teeth.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report