Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Simulation Assembly of Solid & Shell Thin Body Elements Not Possible

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mengfei_he
1865 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Simulation Assembly of Solid & Shell Thin Body Elements Not Possible

what should I do with the simulation, if the assembly is part of solid bodies and part of shell-elements(thin-bodies)?

the midsurfaces are not connected toanother..... sothat a simulation is not possible...... thank you

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: pls help with the simulation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: mengfei_he

If you have parts with multiple solid bodies that look like assemblies, you are going to have to "save as copy" that part out and delete all except for the solid body represented in that part file.

For example;  you have part A, that has solid bodies A1, A2, A3.

Save as copy part A (A1) as B, part A (A2) as C, part A (A3) as D.  Then assembly B, C and D.  You can then simulate this assembly.

Hope this makes sense.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
mengfei_he
in reply to: Cadmanto

thank you for the reply

I'm very sorry that my English is so poor.. I meant something else..

the assembly that I would like to simulate contains some solid parts and some thin shell parts.

When I tried to simulate the assembly as solid parts: Warning One or more bodies which are thin being treated as solids and the mesh went wrong..

When I treated the assembly as a thin wall model, midsurfaces would be created, but the solid parts stay solid.. and there are no connections between shells and solid parts, although they are actually connected when they are treated as solid body.. The simulation went wrong again.. so..

Message 4 of 6
KubliJ

Hi @mengfei_he,

A mixed element (shell/solid) analysis should be possible within Inventor Stress analysis.  It should be creating a contact between the shell and solid parts to connect them now that they are no longer physically touching.  So there should be no problem.

Can you tell us what the actual error/warning is that you are getting?  And/or possibly upload the model for us to look at?

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 5 of 6
mengfei_he
in reply to: KubliJ

Hello, thank you for the reply.

sorry I can only show you some details of the model.

the mounting plate should be connected with the frames (bolts are not drawn, or should I add them to the assembly after all?)

when the model turns to a shell-body, the connect lost. (Warning: There are no contacts attached to the body.)

you can see in the pictures Mountingplate_01/02 that the small thin-parts, which should be combined with the frames, are disappeared.

Picture Error_01 shows the two mounting plates fell down cos they have no connection with the main body. Sorry the system is Japanese. the errors are: *Mesh failed, error with the surfaces*. T*he model is separated into 9 independent components* usw.

thank you.

Message 6 of 6
mengfei_he

please help me with this problem.. thank you very much..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report