Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor get hung up importing large .iges or .step file

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
999 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor get hung up importing large .iges or .step file

Can someone please help me open this file? I exported it from an Autocad .dwg file to .iges and .step but both of them freeze up while they are importing into inventor. I might not have enough memory on my computer to handle the large file. 

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The other file

Message 3 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! How much system RAM do you have? What is the data? Have you tried importing the dwg to Inventor directly?

Did you use Task Scheduler to import the files?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7
imajar

Sometimes large files like that just take a long time to import, it may appear frozen but is actually working.  I'll give it a try, but meanwhile you might just need to let it run overnight (or use task scheduler).

FYI:  If you are trying to get a dwg with solid geomtry to Inventor, I have found fusion 360 to a a phenomenal middleman.  Try importing the dwg to fusion 360 and see what you think.  From there you can export directly to inventor or stp.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 5 of 7
imajar
in reply to: imajar

I see you marked a solution - did you still need that imported file?  My computer imported over the night, I can upload it if you still need . . .

Aaron Jarrett, PE
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 6 of 7
glotz_99
in reply to: imajar

Yes that would be great. 

Message 7 of 7
imajar
in reply to: glotz_99

I sent you a private message with a link to download it. (file was too big to post here).

It imported as surfaces, sorry if I had known it wasnt solid bodies I would have turned on stitch in the import options.  

I didnt see the peak ram usage, but when I came in this morning Inventor was claiming 22 GB of memory, so I think 32 GB would be a good starting point if you have to import something like this again.

Did you try importing the .dwg into fusion 360?

Aaron Jarrett, PE
LinkedIn

Life is Good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report