Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor FEA results not matching

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
2129 Views, 27 Replies

Inventor FEA results not matching

So I am having problems with getting my stress analysis results to match together.  I get that the same simulations (even if they are copied) may yield different stress results from mesh and convergence and all that.

My problem is that when I run a simulation in a part (.ipt) file a few times and average the fairly close results, and then place that part inside an assembly (.iam) by itself and run the same setup, I get a pretty different result.  My part is a pretty simple rod fixed constrained at one and and a force on the other.  The values for stress in the part file are ranging from 103-122 ksi, and the stress of the part in an assembly by itself are around 71-76 ksi.

If anybody has any idea why this is happening, some insight would me much appreciated.

Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

One thing to note is that assemblies and parts carry out their mesh refinements in different ways in Inventor, regarding the "p" and "h" refinements.

Message 22 of 28
JDMather
in reply to: blair

@Anonymous wrote:
IAM with only one part?

Yes.  I was thinking of adding a second instance as the "wall" connection part.  Fully Fix the faces of the "wall" and Bonded Contact and see what results I get, but haven't had time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, I IAM with only one part?

Yes.  As the OP mentioned, he/she was simply trying to determine why the models mesh differently when a single .ipt, vs that same .ipt in an assembly.

Message 24 of 28
blair
in reply to: JDMather

Odd, Displacement is identical, yet different Stess. Looks like an issue in FEA. I thought there was an issue back in IV2014 that was simular to this and a patch fixed it. Looks like the same issue is back in IV2016.

I'll forward this on to ADSK.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 25 of 28
blair

Works fine in Simulation Mechanical. I get the same results as a IPT file or IAM file.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Works fine in Simulation Mechanical. I get the same results as a IPT file or IAM file.

Nice find.

That's a little unsettling though...

Message 27 of 28
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

I thought the same thing happened back on IV2014 and a patch came out fairly quickly. Looks like someone grabbed the same code for IV2016 release.

Since Stress is a secondary value as a result of Displacement. If the Material is the same and the Displacement is the same, then the Stress must be the same.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 28 of 28
Anonymous

I'm able to get the same result in the part vs the assembly by using local mesh control on all faces in the part and the assembly, obviously using a common element size, such as 3".

You need to pay attention to the convergence rate though, as assemblies and parts have different mesh refinement processes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report