Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor FEA, calculation of safety factor

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rmerlob
12752 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor FEA, calculation of safety factor

In the attached report, safety factor is se to calculate from ultimate tensile stress (485 MPa), and it indicates 1.33 with stresses:

Von-Mises: 323 MPa..............SF = 1.5

1st principal: 303 MPa.............SF = 1.6

2nd principal: -181.2 MPa....... SF =2.67

So, how is inventor getting 1.33 ?

EDIT: if I set it to calculate from yield ( 260 MPa) it acurately reports SF = 260/323=0.8

what could be wrong?

EDIT: added part file

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rhinterhoeller
in reply to: rmerlob

I couldn't get your files to download cleanly so I re-ran the simulation.  My results are a bit different than yours BUT:

1/ when using yield strength the factor of safety is as expected

2/ when using ultimate strength there is a discrepancy in the factor of safety

3/ you can work around this by substituting the yield strength into the ultimate strength field but the problem remains.

IV 2013 Product Design Suite 64 Bit
Win 7 64 bit
Message 3 of 10
rmerlob
in reply to: rhinterhoeller

Yeah thats a possible workaround but as you said the problem is still there , not to mention the report will list that you put ultimate tensile stress instead of yield, absolutely ruining the report for third parties :P.

Mb someone from autodesk can post about this issue?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
henderh

Hi merlob and rhinterhoeller,

I've confirmed the issue and forwarded it on to Development as 1444075.  We'll do our best to address this for R2012_SP2.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

Sincerely, -Hugh

[ps: I'd like to mention that the SF calculations based on either the YS or UTS are not always valid.  The reason is that Stress Analysis in Inventor uses only the linear portion of the stress-strain curve.  Therefore the stress results (and corresponding Safety and Failure factor results) will not be valid beyond the yield point of the material.]

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 10
rmerlob
in reply to: henderh

Thanks for the response Hugh.

About the stress beyond the linear portion, is this statement right: Inventor assumes the material has a linear stress-strain curve past yield.

Would this mean that setting SF to calculate from  UTS is valid only on fragile materials which are linear up to rupture?

In another words, every time I´m running a simulation and the stress calculated is past yield, i cannot determine whether the part will break or just deform plastically?

Message 6 of 10
henderh

Hi rmerlob,

Yes, I agree your three statements are correct. 

There are other assumptions of linear stress analysis we've outlined here: Stress analysis assumptions

If non-linear analysis is needed, we recommend using Autodesk Simulation Mechanical (formerly Algor).  Here is a link to download a free trial.

Best regards! -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 7 of 10
rmerlob

Thanks for your response, will definitely try out Simulation, perhaps you could participate on a thread I started comparing a a similar simulation with manual calculation from asme viii code.

Thanks again
Rm
Message 8 of 10
henderh

It turns out we are calculating the Safety Factor based on UTS correctly (the failure factor).

There are other considerations for brittle materials, so we need to calculate the FF based on prinicpal stresses, not just von Mises.

Computed FF=1.23 how do we get this value?

1)  Find the location of the minimum FF

2)  Add a probe to this location

3)  Get the P1 and P3 values (325.5 and -67.8 MPa)

4)  In this case, since P1>0 and P3<0 we use the equation SF=abs[UTS/(P1-P3)] => 1.23 which matches the displayed value

I apologize for any confusion I caused.

Thanks, -Hugh

==========

ps: If both P1 and P3 are positive, we use just P1 in the denominator.  If P1 is negative, we use just P3 in the denominator.

Hugh Henderson
Message 9 of 10
rmerlob
in reply to: henderh

Thanks for clarifying

RM

Message 10 of 10
sunnymarks

Inventor is really helpful for HiTech FEA analysis and calculations of safety factors! Smiley Happy  ~ Sunny

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report